[WALRUS] Fourlrus

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

Do you want to share and listen to music with us?

Yes
93%
I'm not sure
No votes
Not this time
7%

Total votes: 15
dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Fourlrus

Post by dunya »

i shall see you then! :)
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by G-Man »

You folks get a reprieve from me defending my normieness- I can’t make tonight’s reveal session.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

G-Man wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:04 pm I listened through all the Cat1 tunes today. Sprityo, Sloonei, and Queen Pink were my top three (excluding my own submission). Some of you folks made me feel like a bright shining optimist. Makes me want to give out some free hugs if not for Corona...
Just saw this, thanks Gman! :D
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 32
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Round 3 - The Single

Some of the videos in this category are worth watching.

Mandala - Circa Survive
This would feel right at home on an emo/alternative station. But there are many, many songs within this genre that command my attention better. Needs a better hook to stand out from a crowded genre.
Submitted by: birdwithteeth11

Lost in Bonerland - Nero’s Day at Disneyland
If I heard this on the radio I would be very confused. This sounds like music for ghosts; unfinished and incorporeal..
Submitted by: iaafr

Hello Hello - Bic Runga
Unagressively catchy, indefensibly happy; this feels like an artist’s debut single which isn’t as well-received as some of their later, more popular efforts, and then it eventually stops getting played at concerts.
Submitted by: JaggedJimmyJay

Don’t Be Seen With Me - Oppenheimer Analysis
Feels like something we’d hear on the radio in the 80’s. I can already picture the embarassing greenscreen music video. It’s well-constructed, slightly silly, with cheesily sad undertones.
Submitted by: M Plus 7

Soda City Funk - Tim Legend
A really cool fusion of styles. This was constructed in a hit-song laboratory where the song-scientist used slightly imprecise measurements for all the ingredients. Nevertheless, it’s fun and infectious.
Submitted by: sprityo

Can’t Let Go - DJVI
Cool blending of rock structure with EDM instrumentation. It has lots of motifs to build on so that repeated listens feel varied yet familiar. I feel like vocals would have made this track truly stand out, but that’s obviously not what the artist was going for.
Submitted by: motobot

Fire Escape - Tall Heights
This is like a poor man’s “Pumped Up Kicks”. The bassline is super duper.
Submitted by: nutella

Lyric - Zwan
This would have had a better shot at getting on the radio about 20 years ago, when Third Eye Blind and Smashing Pumpkins were still cool. Maybe this could spawn a “New-Classic Rock” radio format, where its music video impressively pops up as a Top 5 pick.
Submitted by: G-Man

Oh Theo! - Blood Cultures
The vocal melody is like a calmly winding river; then suddenly we get rocked by rapids. It’s unique and low-key iconic, but probably needs a singable chorus to make an even bigger impact.
Submitted by: gbsfranca

Sorry - Halsey
We already hear Halsey all over the radio so this would fit right in. With such a focused theme, it would likely succeed. What I like about Halsey is how she struggles to perfectly channel her maturity; there’s a messiness to her effort that feels very human.
Submitted by: Queen Pink

Motion Sickness - Phoebe Bridgers
This subdued vocal range isn’t often heard on the radio but it’s reminiscent of Americana singer-songwriters from last century, like Patty Cole. It’s kind of quietly beautiful. It’s not quite iconic enough to stick in the Top 10 for weeks on end.
Submitted by: Sloonei

I’ll Kill Her - Soko
I think she’s serious. The vocal delivery alone is enough to justify this being “that song”; a one-hit wonder that turns into the next “Mr. Brightside”, with every lyric shouted in unison by a drunken crowd.
Submitted by: dunya

Big Yellow Bus - Seven Nations
This would be a successful radio single in the right culture climate, particularly if this were still the early aughts, but “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” and “You and Me” stole its thunder.
Submitted by: Epignosis

Upside Down - Wolfgang Lohr feat. Alanna Lyes
It’s got the pop vocals, playful lyrics and instantly recognizable horn honks to give it a signature sound. It’s enough to earn staying power on the radio. A really fun bridge would have pushed it over the top, but I’m being nitpicky at that point. This would be a successful single and likely a breakout hit for both featured artists.
Submitted by: speedchuck and Lunalee

Heaven - The Fire Theft
Accessible lyrics and major key sound. I love the dramatic buildup and payoff. They’d probably chop off the last minute for the radio edit.
Submitted by: MacDougall
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Round 4 - Color

The Advanced Colors Song - Scratch Garden
This is what I said I specifically didn’t want in this category, so I cannot give it many points. However, I suppose it serves as a decent primer for the rest of the exercise.

Wintergreen - That Handsome Devil
Perhaps this is meant to evoke the color and texture of vomit. I hear a little bit of black as well, almost gothic.
Submitted by: Speedchuck and lunalee

Mr. Malum - The Dear Hunter
I hear the band’s personality more than a color’s personality (according to the concept album, this is meant to be violet). The song doesn’t really give me any feelings of synesthesia, I have to sort of strain my brain to almost feel the color. It's like it was an attempt to fit a concept instead of being conceived organically.

Aquarius - Boards of Canada
“.....ORANGE.” Yeah, that’s right.
6.0range

Lillian - The Dear Hunter
If I try really hard, I can hear the violet via the strings and the pounding keys. I enjoyed this one more than the other The Dear Hunter track, but the color is still not readily apparent to me. Again it feels like the concept came before the execution.

Red - King Crimson
The song indeed sounds red. Mission accomplished, let us jam.

Rub Til It Bleeds - PJ Harvey
I hear reds, oranges and browns in this paint-by-numbers grunge track. I’m quite sure it’s about a handjob. Color me fascinated.

Colors - Halsey
The color palette is gorgeously defined in the vocals, lyrics and music, especially that chorus. A bit on the nose for the category, but a really good choice nonetheless.

Becomes the Color - Emily Wells
Watercolors and brushed wash lines move beneath crisp and outlined vocals. It evokes a purple, blue and green palette, like swimming among a coral reef.

Blue - SG Lewis
This one actually feels like faded pink to me, like the color of clouds. Sky colors for sure. Pleasant and airy, very dreamlike.

Red Right Hand - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
This song is just so cool. I don’t know that it evokes red specifically, but maybe more specifically red juxtaposed against black and white and grey.

The Blue - David Gilmour
Gilmour lulls us, sets us adrift and then encapsulates us in a prism of blue sound. A deftly controlled form of hypnotism. I assume the guitar solo is a pod of dolphins.

Into the Trees (Serenetti Part 3) - Trentemøller
Black and hunter green, like a dangerous forest. I love all the little movements, constantly shifting, never getting comfortable.

Bright Whites - Kishi Bashi
White was such an adroit choice for this exercise. Personally I love this song.

God Shattering Star - Composed by Takeru Kanazaki, Rei Kondoh, and Hiroki Morishita
The orchestra hits like white hot gold. Thematically on point and a rousing listen.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Same time as last week ;airguitar:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 21
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Turnip Head wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:08 pm Same time as last week ;airguitar:
Hype!
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

ROUND 5 - ANACHRONISM

Discover - Magic Sword (2015)
I’m in Tron and I love it. Could be a glimpse into our cyberpunk future or a retro 80’s soundtrack. Either way, for something released in 2015, this feels very “of another time and place”.
8.8`

Drifting Time Misplaced - The Caretaker (2016)
I think I named the right track. A very... atmospheric selection. Not sure what time it belongs to, specifically, and due to the title that could be very intentional. I’m a fan of these melancholy tones.

Drunken Sailor - The Longest Johns (2013)
Submitted by: speedchuck w/h/f Lunalee
This sea shanty is somewhat amateurishly recorded, which could end up being part of its anachronistic charm.

But You - Alexandra Savior (2020)
Very noir, I’m a huge fan of this sound.

The Less I Know the Better - Tame Impala (2015)
Great song though I’m not sure where the anachronism comes from. Did we travel to the present?

Square Hammer - Ghost (2016)
I feel like we’re centuries in the past being chased by gothic horrors.

Machine - Regina Spektor (2009)
This fits really well conceptually and lyrically; an interesting and unique interpretation of the prompt. I like this choice a lot here.

Perturbator’s Theme - Perturbator (2020)
Synth keys fall like raindrops amidst sun-tinged bass and guitar. Another retro-future 80s vibe for watching Stranger Things or navigating a futuristic city on my light cycle.

Emerge - Fischerspooner (2003)
Almost everyone hit the nail on the head with this category, and this selection exemplifies that .

A Lady of a Certain Age - Divine Comedy (2006)
Beautifully evokes high society culture of the mid-20th century. Masterful storytelling.

Ringtone (remix) - 100 gecs feat. Charli XCX, Rico Nasty, Kero Kero Bonito (2020)
Hmm.

Safari Song - Greta Van Fleet (2017)
Rock And Roll The Next Generation

Me & Mr Jones - Amy Winehouse (2006)
An updated cover song that still sounds like it belongs in the past. This sound needs to come back to pop music tbh.

The Night Begins to Shine - B.E.R. (2015)
This song was literally written to be included in this category. Solid choice.

NO - Meghan Trainor (2016)
A tribute to late 90s pop a la Britney and Xtina? though not quite as memorable as the originals. Or maybe whoever submitted this “noped” out of participating in this category and it’s a statement song.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

ROUND 6 - MEMORY EXTRACTION

DARKSIDE - Shinedown
Submitted by: speedchuck w/h/f Lunalee
This song is only two years old, so it must be a very recent memory. It’s quite a jovial welcome.

Cut to Black - Lemaitre
Some standard indie pop but it’s good mood setting. I see how something impactful could have happened during this.

Obsolete Dreams - Nok From the Future
Sounds like music for gaming to me, so maybe this recalls a specific game title or play session. idk.

Raining Tacos - Parry Grip & BooneBum
First song in this entire exercise that made me laugh out loud. Bonus points for clearly being a highly specific memory. I wish I could give this song more points because I appreciate that it’s not simply a joke.

The Wanton Song - Led Zepelin
This could fit in lots of places: driving in your first car, chillin’ with the boys, blasting it from a secluded room, ordering Chinese takeout, endless possibilities really.

Free - VAST
I just want to point out that the music video for this is amazing in the most ridiculous way. Just got out of a bad relationship, quit a mediocre job? No matter what, I can appreciate how this song could sum or encapsulate that moment.

Safe & Sound - Electric President
I don’t know how to explain this, but the song has a very nostalgic tone. Oh it’s from the singer of Radical Face. Maybe that explains it.

Cardinal Song - The National
This band is so good at setting a scene. My guess is this is a painful moment to relive. Heartbreaking outro, this poor individual.

Fader - The Temper Trap
(I changed the link to the official video) Someone’s been digging through my old iTunes playlists. I have some extremely palpable memories attached to this song, too, and hearing it takes me back every time. Looks like we’re memory bros.

Hearts- Blackbird Blackbird
Maybe a particularly enjoyable stoner sesh, or great sex. I gave this one extra points because I just really liked the song.

Twin Peaks Theme - Angelo Badalamenti
TV show theme songs are a huge source of memory recall. I think it was a great choice for this category, it feels very personal yet relatable.

Superman - Goldfinger
This is a Tony Hawk Pro Skater song. So here we are. Another great example of tying a song strongly to a particular experience, if that’s what happened.

Hexes (Live in Studio) - TesseracT feat. Martin Grech
Oh HELL yeah. I felt the power of this one. Some well-crafted allusions to the category theme as well.

Dare You to Move - Switchfoot
I like the feel of this memory. It feels genuine and pure while being strong and anthemic at the same time.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Harold Arlen, Yip Harburg, Judy Garland
Like remembering something you can’t get back to. When I opened the link I expected to find the Kamakawiwo’ole version; this is much better.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dunya »

thank you for posting these so i can go back and listen! sorry i couldn't make it, i had a pretty bad night. i promise i will make next week's no matter what.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Rounds 7 and 8 have been postponed until next week because I won't be able to make it tonight. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Round 7 Seven Deadly Sins

`Sloth (A Similitude of a Dream) - The Neal Morse Band
Just a liiiiiiiittle too literal for me. Okay it’s way too literal for me. I appreciate that someone else could appreciate the craft here, but I need a bit more subtlety. Omg, that “drool” and “cool” rhyme. I like the second half of the song MUCH more than the first.
6.8`

`The Lazy Song - Bruno Mars
I feel like this got included here by following these crucial steps:
What’s the laziest song I could submit for a category that includes laziness?
The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars
7.0`

`Pastel - Snail’s House x Moe Shop
Are we sure this wasn’t a carryover from the color category? This is the only one I had trouble with identifying the sin.I can vibe to the song itself though.
7.1`

`Your Woman - White Town
This one feels more like unrequited love than lust; I don’t think the singer has committed any cardinal sins here. The song itself is average in my opinion.

`All Caps - Madvillain
Pride’s a hard sin to take the fall for, but some are able to walk that line. I think he does an adequate job here of owning his sin and not letting it disable him.
7.8`

`Into Temptation - Crowded House
This song is like 80% of the way there for me. Something about it feels not polished lyrically. Still, I quite enjoy its decadence.
8.0`

Mr. Brightside
This is like PG-rated lust. The song itself is, of course, absolutely amazing. But for this particular sin I was looking for something more carnal and viscerally unbridled, and more importantly, morally wrong.

`Day Fourteen: Pride - Ayreon
Submitted by: speedchuck
This one is way cooler if you don’t follow along with the lyrics/story.
8.4`

`Saints - Echos
I like the rhapsodic instrumentation and the simple but heavy lyricism. She’s got a decent voice but she doesn’t use much range, so vocally it falls a little flat for me, but I love the idea behind the song.
8.5`

`Because I Got High - Afroman
One of my favorite songs for just hangin with the boys. Quality vibes.
8.6`

`Avaritia - deadmau5
Submitted by:gbsfranca
More, please.
8.8`

`Sleeping In - The Postal Service
This one I feel like the sloth is earned, and wearily welcomed.
8.9`

`Antichrist Television Blues - Arcade Fire
Is this song about the World Trade Center? In any case, I think the sin is wrath. A beautifully told story.
9.0`

`Playground Love - Air
Pure surrender to sin.
9.1`

`Down by the Water - The Decemberists
Unadulterated down n dirty gluttony.
9.6`
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Round 8 Power Ballads

`What Makes You Beautiful - One Direction
This is sweet and saccharine, not romance or ballad.
6.5`

I Love You - Anders Lystell
It’s just not very ballad-y. I will try to explain why in the comments?

This is the Dream of Evan and Chan - Dntel
Why is this here?

I Love You So - The Walters
It’s... it’s really okay.

Love On the Brain - Rihanna
Quite a hot take on romance.

`For Crying Out Loud - Meatloaf
I’m just like falling
8.7`

If We Were Vampires - Jason Isbell at the 400 Unit
Man you just wanna believe every word he says.

Eee Ahhh Aright? - Devin Townsend
I loved everything about this song but the duo-syllabic chorus.

`Sunflower - Low
Sweet sweet sweet, just low-key kinda haunting
8.7`

Sheets - Damien Jurado
Stop making me cry, I can take no more

I Love You to Death - Kamelot
Submitted by: speedchuck
The textbook definition of a ballad

`Goodbye England Covered in Snow (I Speak Because I Can) - Laura Marling
Cathartic and lovely
8.9`

`Don’t Wake Me - The Family Crest
Submitted by: nutella TITLE TRACK
Feels like a holdover from the sloth category, or it could even have gone in coda with the way it rises in the second half. I’m not sure what specifically warranted its inclusion here, though it is beautiful. (It’s a TITLE TRACK)
8.9`

Wicked Game - Chris Isaak
9.3`

Unison - Bjork
Holy -
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable