Random~

Kick back and relax by discussing anything unrelated to mafia at The Syndicate's Speakeasy.

Moderator: Community Team

dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 53

Re: Random~

Post by dunya »

fingers and toes crossed for you, sabie. i'll keep you in my thoughts, please let us know how it goes. :)
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 17

Post by ColinIsCool »

Got my wisdom teeth extracted yesterday. I think mine were unusually difficult because it took about 2.5 hours altogether. It wasn’t a lot of fun, but at least this weekend I have an excuse to lay around and do as little as possible.
sabie12
Maiden of Mischief
Posts in topic: 13
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/herself/they

Post by sabie12 »

ColinIsCool wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:34 am Got my wisdom teeth extracted yesterday. I think mine were unusually difficult because it took about 2.5 hours altogether. It wasn’t a lot of fun, but at least this weekend I have an excuse to lay around and do as little as possible.
Yeah mine were all growing in sideways and crazy but it took about a week or two to be back to normal. I got the puffy cheeks and some pain but all in all not too bad. Ice helped and I ate a lot of broth. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for you!
Sometimes life does seem all planned out, like there's no choice in the matter. But that's just an illusion.
~Darren Shan~
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 174
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

ColinIsCool wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:34 am Got my wisdom teeth extracted yesterday. I think mine were unusually difficult because it took about 2.5 hours altogether. It wasn’t a lot of fun, but at least this weekend I have an excuse to lay around and do as little as possible.
oh ugh Colin sorry to hear that. Hope they gave you good pain medication and you're doing good.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 393

Post by Epignosis »

I just got a sign from God that I am going to be done teaching after this year. A few of them, truth be told.

Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Epignosis wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:16 pm I just got a sign from God that I am going to be done teaching after this year. A few of them, truth be told.

Did you get any signs on what you will be doing?
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Perhaps.
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 480
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

I get fingerprinted to take the GA Bar on Mondaaaaaay. Since I've been barred for over 10 years, I only have to take one day of the exam. Gonna start studying in May (probably sooner, who am I kidding).
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 70
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

So, a month ago I came back to uni. Started studying Production Engineering. Things have been mostly fine, but there is this problem I ran into this week which I want to vent about.

I'm doing a module called Ethics and Religious Culture (it's a catholic school so all courses have to do that). There is this big coursework we have to make for the module. People were split into groups, and each group has to discuss a bio-ethics subject. My group's subject is abortion. The group I'm in includes myself, another Production student, a Biology one, and three Dentistry ones.

So tuesday the teacher starts talking about the paper, which we have to deliver in 2 weeks. It's big but I'm not particularly worried about it, as I've done bigger work in my first graduation. So I grab my phone and start looking at the group chat.

What I see is the 3 dentists and the production guy agreeing to pay someone to do the coursework for us. Just like that. They argue they have no time to do it since it's their last year in dentistry so they are full of clinic work. The biology guy is silent. I immediately object to it and say I'll leave the group if they do that. One of them then tells me to start doing my part then. The biology guy then speaks up and mentions what part he wants to do.

I spent the whole day today doing research, and I plan to do some more tomorrow. Probably will have done a quarter of the coursework by myself, at least. But I feel like I have to at least prove I'm a hard worker and call their bluff so they can't ignore my objection.

This has been stressing me a lot, though. I never do that kind of stuff. I've always been one of the best students in school, and never cheated. And the thought of paying someone to fraud a paper disgusts me. So I needed to vent.

On a side note, I don't envy whoever is going to get dental treatment from those people. If all it takes to make them act like that is a measly paper about ethics, they will keep cheating again.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I fucking hated group work.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 39
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

There’s something poetic about cheating on an ethics assignment.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:52 pm There’s something poetic about cheating on an ethics assignment.
DDL should abort his group.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Sloonei wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:52 pm There’s something poetic about cheating on an ethics assignment.
Ikr
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

So do they realize if you withdraw, you will need to tell the professor why? I mean really, that's sad they want to pay someone and not fair to you.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Tbh the withdraw thing was kind of a bluff, I'd rather not have to rat them out. Not that I give a shit about them, but I don't like that kind of conflict.

So I did my part, and the biology guy replied saying he's going to post his. The 4 crooked ones are silent. Hope this works out.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Heck, if some of them just disappeared and did nothing I wouldn't be particularly mad. I've been in college before, I'm used to that kind of stuff.

But this plagiarism stuff really gets me anxious, because I don't like to deal with illegal stuff. Just wondering what I can do if they decide to buy their parts anyway is getting me nervous. I'd rather leave that stuff to mafia.

I took pictures of the whatsapp conversations where they discuss it, but I hope I don't have to use those.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Narc.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Epignosis wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:16 pmNarc.
If the teacher catches the plagiarism (which he already said he has the tools for, so I wonder who those guys are trying to fool), I could fail the module because of it.

Well, hope my responses so far convinced them.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:18 pm
If the teacher catches the plagiarism (which he already said he has the tools for, so I wonder who those guys are trying to fool), I could fail the module because of it.

I'm teasing.

These people are dumbasses for even posting their intentions.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Yes that was clearly stupid. But I worry that the punishment would be something more than just failing the module. Save all your work DDL and if you find out they purchased their parts I would think hard about ratting them out. I know you don't like the conflict but you have to look out for yourself.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Isn't DDL from South America? Don't they dish out beat downs for things like that?
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 132

Post by G-Man »

It’s Easter Sunday. Is it sacrilegious for “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life” to be stuck in my head?
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Devastated for Sri Lanka :(
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:18 pm

their work wouldn't be caught for plagiarism if they pay people to write a paper that passes the searches and is original content. They are paying for original content, not plagiarized work. it isn't ethical of course, and I'm sorry you're having to deal with that, but glad you have your bases covered in the event they are somehow caught.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Epignosis wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:06 pm Isn't DDL from South America? Don't they dish out beat downs for things like that?
I don't think unis do that.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

This post reminded me of [mention]Epignosis[/mention]

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I buy my own pencils and pens to give out to students lacking one.

And I am impressed if a student phrases a question using something resembling a subject and a predicate at the same time.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

i had the longest pee of my life. holy crap. it felt amazing. that is all.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

dunya wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:20 pm i had the longest pee of my life. holy crap. it felt amazing. that is all.
I have now just heard someone describe her pee as a holy crap.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

For my next game I think I'm going to ban night posting. Not that I think there is anything wrong with it, but mafia is so more relaxing when you have a day to take a break, not worry about the game, and maybe even catch-up. Especially in a 48 hour game.

What do you guys think?
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:16 am For my next game I think I'm going to ban night posting. Not that I think there is anything wrong with it, but mafia is so more relaxing when you have a day to take a break, not worry about the game, and maybe even catch-up. Especially in a 48 hour game.

What do you guys think?
i approve 100%. games at nf were such a stress-free breeze where dunya couldn't care less and it could be because of the no night posting rule. :p
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 35
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I find that locked nights are a nice break, but they also kill game activity. I don't think it's worth the trade.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:16 am For my next game I think I'm going to ban night posting. Not that I think there is anything wrong with it, but mafia is so more relaxing when you have a day to take a break, not worry about the game, and maybe even catch-up. Especially in a 48 hour game.

What do you guys think?
I'm going to be implementing in all my games moving forward.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 61

Post by nutella »

I like being able to take the night phase off from posting, but I do have a significant problem with it and that's not getting organic reactions to lynch flips. I might be dreaming but I think I've seen at least one game where players were allowed to make one post-lynch-flip post and then couldn't post for the rest of the night phase. I think that's ideal if it could be easily implemented (but logistically it may not be).
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

nutella wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:25 am I like being able to take the night phase off from posting, but I do have a significant problem with it and that's not getting organic reactions to lynch flips. I might be dreaming but I think I've seen at least one game where players were allowed to make one post-lynch-flip post and then couldn't post for the rest of the night phase. I think that's ideal if it could be easily implemented (but logistically it may not be).
I've played and hosted lots of games with that rule. It can be done.

The problem is that you have to limit the content of what the reaction post can be (no revealing new info, or accusing new people, just reacting) and there are always some people who either by mistake or by malice, ignore that rule completely and use the reaction post to their advantage.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I've come to the conclusion that my Blogger pages look like crap on mobile. Does anyone know of a way to make Blogger not look awful on mobile? Or would I be better off switching to Wordpress.com? I'm not interested in paying to host it myself, since it's a pet project and few if any people ever read it anyway.
My Banners:
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 24

Post by Dom »

I don't, G. Sorry. :/

But I wanted to say hi to everyone. :3
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Hi, Dom!
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

u guise r cool sometimes <3
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

But not all the time. There’s work in the morning.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

At work today I listened to soundtracks to several seasons of Lost without realizing today’s date. Spooky.
My Banners:
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

G-Man wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:24 pm At work today I listened to soundtracks to several seasons of Lost without realizing today’s date. Spooky.
:eye:
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

[mention]speedchuck[/mention] [mention]Lunalee[/mention]

Congratulations!
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Welcome to parenthood.

JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 35
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Happy literal birthday, Lunachuck Jr!
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 15

Post by speedchuck »

thanks
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

The highest of congratulations to you two.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 17

Post by ColinIsCool »

Congrats speed and Luna!
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

When are we going to get sign-ups for a new Heist game? I’ve got some rust to shake off.
My Banners:
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 84
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

https://www.yourdictionary.com/frown