Random~

Kick back and relax by discussing anything unrelated to mafia at The Syndicate's Speakeasy.

Moderator: Community Team

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 197
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Re: Random~

Post by Tangrowth »

S~V~S wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:I've had glasses since I was 2 years old, so I'm as used to them as I could possibly be. I also hate the idea of sticking something into my eye, so I've never seriously considered contacts.
Yeah, I have had glasses since I was 4, so I feel your pain. But I got my first contacts when they were hard lenses, wow they are so much more comfortable now. I honestly forget I have them in.
I may consider it eventually, but I don't know. It'd just be so weird. I don't have much motivation since glasses don't bother me.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I have never watched the Super Bowl ever before, and I have no intention of changing that today. Not because I'm contrarian, mind you, just because I have pretty much no interest in doing so. Who else is in my boat?

I'll instead most likely be working on something. :sigh:
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 132

Post by G-Man »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I have never watched the Super Bowl ever before, and I have no intention of changing that today. Not because I'm contrarian, mind you, just because I have pretty much no interest in doing so. Who else is in my boat?

:eek:

The first Super Bowl I remember watching was Super Bowl 25 between the Giants and the Bills in 1991. I have watched part or all of every Super Bowl since. I grew up in a football-watching family, so I can't imagine NOT watching the game.

I will, however, be working through a trial balance for work or some church finance documents during the game. I'll look up for commercials and when the announcers sound excited.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

G-Man wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:I have never watched the Super Bowl ever before, and I have no intention of changing that today. Not because I'm contrarian, mind you, just because I have pretty much no interest in doing so. Who else is in my boat?

The first Super Bowl I remember watching was Super Bowl 25 between the Giants and the Bills in 1991. I have watched part or all of every Super Bowl since. I grew up in a football-watching family, so I can't imagine NOT watching the game.

I will, however, be working through a trial balance for work or some church finance documents during the game. I'll look up for commercials and when the announcers sound excited.
Generally, sports was a very, very little part of my household growing up, practically nonexistent. Sports were never on, including the Super Bowl. Neither of my parents care remotely about the NFL, NBA, etc., or about sports in general. But I say all of this with one big exception in mind (other than the Olympics, which my mom liked watching but my dad didn't).

I grew up systematically watching tennis with my parents, who both played when they were in their teens and 20s. So tennis grand slams (Wimbledon, Roland Garros, and the U.S. Open... Australian Open was the one usually left out) were an annual pastime with my parents, but especially my mom, and we bonded over that. So I can understand it being enjoyable and habitual in that regard, even ritual-esque. But other than that, I find it difficult to understand the appeal of the Super Bowl and most other sports things.

I am incredibly athletically challenged and grew up in an environment that cared almost as little about sports as possible (my dad even often spoke of most sports with some level of contempt, saying he liked them when he was in college and such, but grew disillusioned with them), especially football (if possible, the one we all cared about the least), so watching the Super Bowl just never interested me remotely. Maybe one of these days I'll watch it, but eh, just have no motivation to do so.

I am trying to become more open-minded with sports; over the past few years I've become more interested in basketball and baseball, the latter partially because it's Daisy's version of my tennis. Re: basketball, for me it's been mostly warming up to NBA stuff; college is very meh to me except March Madness and even then I only ever cared because filling out brackets and making predictions is fun, even based on no knowledge whatsoever. I am naturally drawn much more to individual sports than team sports, but basketball and baseball are slowly becoming quasi-exceptions to that rule, though I doubt I'll ever be remotely passionate about either one. I'm loving the statistics and everything in those two. I just cannot find any interest in football though. It's so incredibly boring to me.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 393

Post by Epignosis »

G-Man wrote:

That was the first one I ever watched! I predicted the winner correctly while my parents were wrong. :noble:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
G-Man wrote:

Generally, sports was a very, very little part of my household growing up, practically nonexistent. Sports were never on, including the Super Bowl. Neither of my parents care remotely about the NFL, NBA, etc., or about sports in general. But I say all of this with one big exception in mind (other than the Olympics, which my mom liked watching but my dad didn't).

I grew up systematically watching tennis with my parents, who both played when they were in their teens and 20s. So tennis grand slams (Wimbledon, Roland Garros, and the U.S. Open... Australian Open was the one usually left out) were an annual pastime with my parents, but especially my mom, and we bonded over that. So I can understand it being enjoyable and habitual in that regard, even ritual-esque. But other than that, I find it difficult to understand the appeal of the Super Bowl and most other sports things.

I am incredibly athletically challenged and grew up in an environment that cared almost as little about sports as possible (my dad even often spoke of most sports with some level of contempt, saying he liked them when he was in college and such, but grew disillusioned with them), especially football (if possible, the one we all cared about the least), so watching the Super Bowl just never interested me remotely. Maybe one of these days I'll watch it, but eh, just have no motivation to do so.

I am trying to become more open-minded with sports; over the past few years I've become more interested in basketball and baseball, the latter partially because it's Daisy's version of my tennis. Re: basketball, for me it's been mostly warming up to NBA stuff; college is very meh to me except March Madness and even then I only ever cared because filling out brackets and making predictions is fun, even based on no knowledge whatsoever. I am naturally drawn much more to individual sports than team sports, but basketball and baseball are slowly becoming quasi-exceptions to that rule, though I doubt I'll ever be remotely passionate about either one. I'm loving the statistics and everything in those two. I just cannot find any interest in football though. It's so incredibly boring to me.
I know a great number of people who care nothing about football but watch every year anyway. Why?
The commercials.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 84
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

I just watch the commercials on the Internet... people conveniently post them all on online together! :nicenod: I've never cared much for sports. My mom is a huge Blue Jays fan, so I've seen more baseball than anything else.

I do get excited when a hometown team gets to the finals of whatever sport though. Maple Leafs in the Stanley Cup playoffs, Blue Jays going for the World Series, I assume if the Raptors made the finals I would be excited. I like the proud coming together of the people, and the excitement.
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 477

Post by A Person »

My mom has shown me a superbowl commercial once before the game was even on. -_-
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 174
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Several of the commercials are released at least to the media before the game every year. This year there is a Budweiser commercial about immigration that I've seen in several places even though it hasn't been aired as a commercial yet.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 214
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I used to watch the Super Bowl. But nowadays, unless the Bengals are in it, I don't have any interest.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Epignosis wrote:I know a great number of people who care nothing about football but watch every year anyway. Why?
The commercials.
I will never understand that. The whole reason I love Netflix and other similar services is the lack of commercials. Commercials suck. :p
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Epignosis wrote:I know a great number of people who care nothing about football but watch every year anyway. Why?
The commercials.
I will never understand that. The whole reason I love Netflix and other similar services is the lack of commercials. Commercials suck. :p
I concur 100%. Commercials are the worst (except the ones with marmots in them). :p

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
The commercials.
I concur 100%. Commercials are the worst (except the ones with marmots in them). :p
Well, I wouldn't argue with that exception.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 393

Post by Epignosis »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
The commercials.
The commercials are generally tailored to be more entertaining than to actually advertise their products (which, ironically, works in their favor).
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Epignosis wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
The commercials.
The commercials are generally tailored to be more entertaining than to actually advertise their products (which, ironically, works in their favor).
You think they'd learn from that revelation then. :p
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

I enjoy all the hoopla about the commercials for exactly the reason epi pointed out: they are for entertainment value. I enjoy trying to decide which were the best and which were the worst and comparing my opinions with the advertising gurus. It all seems like harmless fun surrounding the game.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

juliets wrote:I enjoy all the hoopla about the commercials for exactly the reason epi pointed out: they are for entertainment value. I enjoy trying to decide which were the best and which were the worst and comparing my opinions with the advertising gurus. It all seems like harmless fun surrounding the game.
That's understandable. Rating / ranking things is fun.
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 103

Post by Golden »

I've never watched the super bowl but that's changing today.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:

Why this time?
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:

Why this time?
Lots of factors. We're not always guaranteed a public holiday on Super Bowl day so often I'm at work. I wasn't always married to someone with American family. My best friend wasn't always into NFL but he really has been the last few years, and I've ended up participating in fantasy leagues and talking about American Football as a result. Hamish has a whole lot of Patriots clothes. So, we thought it might be fun.

Also, it's on TV. I can't say that it wasn't in recent years, but it certainly wasn't even ten years ago. NZ has had an underground NBA culture all my life, but super bowl culture is kind of new here.

You should join in MP!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:

Why this time?
Lots of factors. We're not always guaranteed a public holiday on Super Bowl day so often I'm at work. I wasn't always married to someone with American family. My best friend wasn't always into NFL but he really has been the last few years, and I've ended up participating in fantasy leagues and talking about American Football as a result. Hamish has a whole lot of Patriots clothes. So, we thought it might be fun.

Also, it's on TV. I can't say that it wasn't in recent years, but it certainly wasn't even ten years ago. NZ has had an underground NBA culture all my life, but super bowl culture is kind of new here.

You should join in MP!
Makes sense.

Ehhhh, I'll probably still be here listening to music and working on reviews anyway; I have enough work to do. If not, I'd rather spend time with Annie watching something we both would find more enjoyable.

Maybe someday I'll eventually watch, if the Bengals are in it or something.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Epignosis wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
The commercials.
Television isn't an entertainment format I particularly enjoy.

That, and advertisements are the worst.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Yeah, me neither, Annie and I don't even have cable. I can't even remember the last time either of us turned on the TV without watching a DVD, using the Wii U or Xbox 360 to either access Netflix/Hulu/etc. or play video games.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I'm contemplating a change in my sock. Should I do it? I've had this one on for a while now.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I'm contemplating a change in my sock. Should I do it? I've had this one on for a while now.
Do what feels good to you in this instance MP. So many things we have to do for others, do or don't do this as you wish.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Oh, it's just a minor decision; I have a notorious tendency to overanalyze the fuck out of minor decisions, so I thought I might as well ask you all partially out of jest but partially just to resolve my crippling indecisive tendencies.
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 195

Post by thellama73 »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I'm contemplating a change in my sock. Should I do it? I've had this one on for a while now.
I prefer the In Prasie of Learning one, myself.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

thellama73 wrote:
I prefer the In Prasie of Learning one, myself.
That one is cool. I think I wore Unrest before this one too, so I'll switch to that one. :beer:
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I've contemplated a name change for a while.

People call me marmot anyway, why not just change it to that to make things easier?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:

People call me marmot anyway, why not just change it to that to make things easier?
But then we'd have to come up with a new nickname for you to avoid calling you by your actual username.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

thellama73 wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:

But then we'd have to come up with a new nickname for you to avoid calling you by your actual username.
I could call myself themarmot74. It's an extremely unique handle of a format which I've never seen before.

What do you think?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I could call myself themarmot74. It's an extremely unique handle of a format which I've never seen before.

What do you think?
:dalek:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Better yet, what about themarmot73?
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Great idea, thesock73!

Also, I thought the space-God version of your avatar was pretty snazzy.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Long Con wrote:Great idea, thesock73!

Oh yes! I love that one too. I should bring that one back out soon.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Why are you guys all so anxious to piggyback on TheFloyd's name?

Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

thellama73 wrote:

Why are you guys all so anxious to piggyback on TheFloyd's name?
Why would I want to piggyback on Floyd's name? The greatest band of all time released their first album in 1974. Who cares about '73?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

MovingPictures07 wrote:

Oh yes! I love that one too. I should bring that one back out soon.
Decided to bring it back out already since I missed it. Pretty awesome. :beer:
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I forgot to mention this.

I went to a social gaming event in our department at Uni a couple weeks ago, and someone had brought Mafia. Being that I was one of just a couple people who had played before, I offered to proctor a game. We ended up getting 15 people to play in the second round that I modded (after just 7 in the first). I'll say, it was a mighty difficult task to create a balanced and interesting setup on the spot for such a large group. But it was a ton of fun. It was also a little difficult to keep track of everything but I somehow managed without pen-and-paper. Overall, it went smoothly and mafia kicked ass.

I think I had balanced things relatively well. There were 10 civilians, 4 mafia, and 1 neutral. There were 3 power roles among the civilians, a cop, doctor, and bodyguard. But a large majority of players had never played before. There was a definitely noticeable mob psychology during every lynch. The newer players tended to follow each other or someone who looked/acted like they knew what they were doing. This is a drastic difference to party mafia I'd played before where you have a group of experienced players. It was fascinating to observe.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:I forgot to mention this.

I went to a social gaming event in our department at Uni a couple weeks ago, and someone had brought Mafia. Being that I was one of just a couple people who had played before, I offered to proctor a game. We ended up getting 15 people to play in the second round that I modded (after just 7 in the first). I'll say, it was a mighty difficult task to create a balanced and interesting setup on the spot for such a large group. But it was a ton of fun. It was also a little difficult to keep track of everything but I somehow managed without pen-and-paper. Overall, it went smoothly and mafia kicked ass.

I think I had balanced things relatively well. There were 10 civilians, 4 mafia, and 1 neutral. There were 3 power roles among the civilians, a cop, doctor, and bodyguard. But a large majority of players had never played before. There was a definitely noticeable mob psychology during every lynch. The newer players tended to follow each other or someone who looked/acted like they knew what they were doing. This is a drastic difference to party mafia I'd played before where you have a group of experienced players. It was fascinating to observe.
I would have thought 4 mafia with 10 civilians would have been way too powerful for the mafia. Three bad lynches and it's over. But I'm pleased to hear it worked out for you!

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:I forgot to mention this.

That's awesome! I love seeing and participating in real life mafia games; I wish I had more opportunities to do so. It's just so much fun, especially with brand new folks. Sometimes it can be a great chance to try to earn more converts to our cause too. :mafia:
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 132

Post by Ricochet »

"BOOK"
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Ricochet wrote:"BOOK"
hahaha your cross to bear Rico

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

"TOOK"

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 61

Post by nutella »

Fool of a Took!
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

"HOOK"

What is this again?
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Long Con wrote:"HOOK"

What is this again?
It started out as a joke from the Friday chatzy but it has become something unknown to me. :shrug:

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

"SPOOK"

(pretend it rhymes)

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

One of my birthday presents was an 'escape the room' experience, which I've always wanted to try.

What's particularly amusing, though, is when I looked at the 'plot' of the room. I quote "Your mission is to infiltrate and investigate the Syndicate’s headquarters, discover what their evil plans are, and put a stop to them."

http://www.escapemate.co.nz/index.php/booking/
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Golden wrote:One of my birthday presents was an 'escape the room' experience, which I've always wanted to try.

What's particularly amusing, though, is when I looked at the 'plot' of the room. I quote "Your mission is to infiltrate and investigate the Syndicate’s headquarters, discover what their evil plans are, and put a stop to them."

Shhhhhh, no talking about ongoing mafia games outside the thread. :grin:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:One of my birthday presents was an 'escape the room' experience, which I've always wanted to try.

!!!!

Boogs and blindfaeth were telling me about that a few months back. Sounds really neat, I want to try it sometime!

And :eek: at the Syndicate reference. Cool beans.

Return to “The Speakeasy”