[WALRUS] DOOM's Walrus

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 50

[WALRUS] DOOM's Walrus

Post by DaughterOfOmega »

Welcome to the DOOM Walrus

Let us first go over the details.

Submission deadline: December 31st
Submission limit will be none.
PENDING reveal date: January 7th
Ten categories.

Scoring will go as follows for categories 1-9:
1-10 points for my personal rating of your song.
+1-2 bonus points for how well your song fits the category

There will be no deduction of points for a song that I've heard before, although I will probably be biased toward new things in my ear.

Personal taste: I've always been very fond of 80s Rock/Pop, 90/20s Rap, and a lover of anything catchy.

Banned Artists: (will try and give some varying examples to help guide you all)
Daft Punk
Linkin Park
Juice WRLD
Kid Cudi
MF DOOM
Tom Petty
The Who
Duran Duran
TWICE
Wagakki band
100 gecs
Gorillaz
Mobb Deep
Amy Winehouse
Shinedown

CATEGORIES!

1. Start of the walrus, so let’s hear a song that you turn on bright and early in the morning. Rachel’s example: Tik Tok - Kesha

2. It’s Monday, work has started, and you need some beats in the background to help you focus. Rachel’s example: Phantasy Star Online – Deko (ft Yameii)

3. Several hours of mediocre work later, you see the clock hit noon and get hit by a wave of “thank god” and go the fridge for some food. I want a song about cooking/food. Any song that references a turnip will receive my undying love, but also an additional bonus two points. Time to browse spotify for my own song to play :) Rachel’s example: Kookies – MF DOOM

4. There was an error in paperwork from a coworker, but your boss takes it out on you because you were the one who presented it to him. It will take hours for you to fix, and you hate being yelled at. You need some music to get over these frustrated feelings. Rachel’s example: Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield

5. Time to head home from another stress filled day. You’ve got a 45-minute drive, what are you playing in the car? Rachel’s example: Numb – Linkin Park

6. As you walk through the front door, you throw your purse on the table and sprawl out onto your couch. Complete exhaustion… What is the go-to music to help you regain some energy? Rachel’s example: Hey Ya! – Outkast

7. After five days we finally get a break from this hell, it’s Friday evening, what song is appropriate for this joyous occasion? Rachel’s example: Celebration – Kool and the Gang

8. You wake up, its noon, and you feel sluggish from the substance of your choice that you’ve taken the day prior; it must be Saturday. You have no responsibilities today or tomorrow, it’s time to party. Pick a song that embodies the freedom to do whatever the fuck you want. Rachel’s example: Baseline Junkie - Dizzee Rascal

9. Holiday season. You have time off from work, but oh no, you now feel required to visit the family. Having to see the ole grandparents once again so they can tell you about the new craze on facebook. This category requires you to send in a song that predates the year 1980. Rachel's example: Don't Stop Me Now - Queen

10. Wildcard round, aka “Please me” round. This has no requirements, but also will be scored differently. Instead of 1-2 bonus points for your song fitting the category, all points will come from how much I enjoyed listening, and whether the song is new to me. A bonus point for a song that is new to me, another bonus point for a band I haven’t heard of. (hint: I don’t love songs that tend to carry on for a while)

HOW TO SUBMIT!

My discord is Rachel ugh#8565 if you want to send these submissions over discord, or you can private message me on this account. Please make sure to not include the names of the songs!

Important edit for submitting: If anyone enters my walrus, I'm going on a "lose as much weight as possible training sesh" for 2-3 weeks, and so just toss them through the Syndicate pm system thanks.
p.s. Some fool (Lord Quas) thought that the walrus wasn't an anonymous submission and submitted the names to me, so from now don't worry about it and just give me whatever.
Last edited by DaughterOfOmega on Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

Re: DOOM's Walrus

Submissions

1. LordQuas
2. Falcon45ca
3. Nutella
4. Syn
5. Lincoln
6. Red
7. G-man
8. Marmot
9. Mynameisnothing
Last edited by DaughterOfOmega on Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:01 am, edited 7 times in total.
LordQuas
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 5

Post by LordQuas »

/in & first ezclap
LordQuas
Corrupt Union Official

Post by LordQuas »

@DaughterOfOmega wtf is your pfp right now
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

I've decided to add something to category 3, I will put it in the OP and here.

"Any song that references a turnip will receive my undying love, but also an additional bonus two points. Time to browse spotify for my own song to play :) "

I only got to have a few conversations with Turnip Head on the forum/syn discord, one was about me signing up for a walrus and how I was kind of scared to share my shitty music taste. They said I should have fun, and the game is about everyone sharing their bad taste in music. It's the day of his birth, and as the only Walrus currently running signups, I just wanted to acknowledge them somehow since Turnip was a fan of walruses, and helped me feel better.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

will sub!
to the spoiler go the victories:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
falcon45ca
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 2

Post by falcon45ca »

Sign me up
we can't stop here...this is bat country!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImageImage
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

falcon45ca wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:59 amSign me up
Thanks falcon ;)
Syn
Hitman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Syn »

Strangers allowed to sub?
ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

Syn wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:27 pm Strangers allowed to sub?
Why wouldn't they?

Also I've said Syn a lot, how are you a stranger
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Picking my subs and I feel like a lot of the categories end up going for similar vibes -- I'm pulling all my subs from my "oops all bangers" playlist lol! Not a bad thing, just some songs that could work for multiple categories. Also sending in several things that I've subbed to various other walri before but I think it's ok bc you wouldn't have been around for most of them, I'm fine recycling some stuff in hopes you'll enjoy the songs :guitar:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

nutella wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:24 pm Picking my subs and I feel like a lot of the categories end up going for similar vibes -- I'm pulling all my subs from my "oops all bangers" playlist lol! Not a bad thing, just some songs that could work for multiple categories. Also sending in several things that I've subbed to various other walri before but I think it's ok bc you wouldn't have been around for most of them, I'm fine recycling some stuff in hopes you'll enjoy the songs :guitar:
I really hope so, thanks for taking the time Nutella.
Syn
Hitman

Post by Syn »

done

ImageImageImageImage
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

Thanks for signing up everyone!

If you missed out, I might be able to fit you in, just message me.

I'm planning to reveal cat 1 results on January 7th at 5pm EST.
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

Re: [WALRUS] DOOM's Walrus

I'm revealing this soon.

I kind of doubt the people who submitted will care since it's been so long.

@Syn @LordQuas @MyNameIsNothing @nutella @falcon45ca @Red @G-Man @Marmot

Let me if you want me to do an actual reveal on discord, if people are interested I will find the time to do it next week, if not I will just start and finish all of the reveals here over the next week.
falcon45ca
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 2

Post by falcon45ca »

DaughterOfOmega wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:30 pm I'm revealing this soon.

Let me if you want me to do an actual reveal on discord, if people are interested I will find the time to do it next week, if not I will just start and finish all of the reveals here over the next week.
I'm down!
we can't stop here...this is bat country!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 6
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

DaughterOfOmega wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:30 pm I'm revealing this soon.

If I'm available I'll definitely attend :beer:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Yeah I'd try to listen in!
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G-Man »

I’ll tune in if I am around and free!
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

I'm sick as hell, and life won't give me a second to catch my breath, so I'm doing a forum reveal. Sorry lads.

Although I can now announce Cat 1 RESULTS!

Coming in at ninth place @falcon45ca with Blood Orange by Berried Alive. Score: Rating 4/10. +0 cat fit. Points: 4

This took a long time for me to decide on, at first I found it very interesting and fun, but the longer it went on the more of a headache I got. This just goes way too HARD for me, and especially me waking up I’d not be able to handle at all. Not a hit for me dawg.
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

We have a tie for seventh.
@ignoramus with Still Into You (Piano Cover) by Scott Bradlee. Score: Rating 5/10 +1 cat fit. Points: 6

I’ve been fond of paramore forever, and I absolutely adore Hayley Williams, but this does no favors for you. This song is beautiful for me because Hayley sings it, not because of the tune behind it. This is a well-played piano, but I would have rather preferred an original. Sorry :(

The second player who placed seventh was @nutella with Jump into the Fog by The Wombats. Score: 5/10 rating. +1 cat fit. Points: 6

This isn’t a bad song, but it’s not something I’d find myself enjoying these days. The vocals and drums remind me of bands I’d headbang to as a middle-schooler, and that’s not a bad thing, just not what I’m looking for. Regarding the cat, this type of music is what I’d listen to as that depressed teen, so I don’t feel like waking up to this.
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

The man himself @G-Man comes in at sixth on our list with Beautiful Day by U2. Score: Rating 6.5/10 +1 cat fit. Points: 7.5

Like the title says, this is a beautiful song. I struggle with enjoying U2 due to how much I’ve had to endure throughout the years, but this song is one of their better tracks. It’s not going to get me lively in the morning, but it has that happiness aspect that can put a smile on my face after waking up.
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

In the fifth spot we have @Red with Better Now by Post Malone. Score: 7.5/10 +1 cat fit Points: 8.5

Not many people know, but I have this small music crush on Post, and I really enjoy his tunes. He’s definitely not the usual kind of rapper I listen to, but I can only enjoy what my ears tell me to! I didn’t think this song fit the cat as much others, but it’s decent enough. Also, it’s not one of my favorites from him either.
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

The loser who just missed out on the podium. @Syn with POWERS by Heavy. Score:7/10 rating. +2 cat fit. Points:9

I just meshed so much with the ambience for this one. The vocals kick in and just sweep me along into this wave of enjoyment. I often get bored throughout songs that keep the same tone throughout, but this kept my mind at peace.
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

STARTING OFF THE PODIUM!

Our Bronze Boy, @LordQuas with Life on the Line by 2 Mello. Score: 7.5/10 rating. +2 cat fit. Points 9.5

This is great for my morning. The beat just makes me want to move my hips and shake of all the rust from sleeping. The vocals halfway through the song didn’t feel like it fit the rest of the vibe. Overall it’s still good, and is a great example of what I’m looking for.
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

The first loser as Ricky Bobby would say, our Silver Slugger for tonight is @MyNameIsNothing with Wide Awake by Parquet Courts. Score: 8/10 +2 cat fit. Points:10

How fun is this? From the beginning I’m just feeling this entire song in my body. I love the tunes and background music, paired with these wacky guys all harmonized, all I can say is I had fun. This definitely fits the cat, and is being added to a playlist of mine. It's just solid.
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

We are all winners for participating in a walrus.

Now that we got the pleasantries out the way, let's discuss the only real winner of this category.

@Marmot with Philosophize In It! Chemicalize With It! by Kishi Bashi. Score: 9/10 rating. +2 cat fit. Points: 11

This will most likely be the winner, I have not gotten to them all but immediately after the first listen I knew there was a load of things I loved. Not sure where to start, but the playful beginning to the song is great and then the vocals just slip right in flawlessly. This was not only a song that would wake me up feeling well, but I just want to sing along and move with the notes. I fucking love violins, and that fucking solo all of a sudden just made me smile. Close to perfect for this category.

Congrats Marmot, and hope the rest of your subs are just as lovely. :)
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

DaughterOfOmega wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:27 am We are all winners for participating in a walrus.

Now that we got the pleasantries out the way, let's discuss the only real winner of this category.

@Marmot with Philosophize In It! Chemicalize With It! by Kishi Bashi. Score: 9/10 rating. +2 cat fit. Points: 11

This will most likely be the winner, I have not gotten to them all but immediately after the first listen I knew there was a load of things I loved. Not sure where to start, but the playful beginning to the song is great and then the vocals just slip right in flawlessly. This was not only a song that would wake me up feeling well, but I just want to sing along and move with the notes. I fucking love violins, and that fucking solo all of a sudden just made me smile. Close to perfect for this category.

Congrats Marmot, and hope the rest of your subs are just as lovely. :)
ahh yes of course! goat
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

Later tonight I will make a nice looking scoresheet, I need to rest with this stupid bronchitis.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Thanks for the reveal! MNIN subbed an excellent catfit and song as always.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

This is getting completed this week

only took me a year

pog
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

Category 3 is being revealed.

YAY

" Several hours of mediocre work later, you see the clock hit noon and get hit by a wave of “thank god” and go the fridge for some food. I want a song about cooking/food. Any song that references a turnip will receive my undying love, but also an additional bonus two points. Time to browse spotify for my own song to play"
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

To start off cat 3, we begin with one of the songs that received the worst grade in this entire walrus.

Red with Good Direction by Billy Currington

Look I respect the turnip reference. This is painful to hear. This song is literally the epitome of "Pandering" by Bo Burnham. This dude sounds like the last 40 country stars I've forgotten about, and the constant dick sucking of the deep south is cringe. "Stop and ask Ms. Belle for a refund"

2/10 1/2 cat points. 1 bonus point. 4 Total Points
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

In 7th place we have my best friend with a terrible submission.

Quas with Best Dishwasher I Ever Had by Krista Muir

I wasn't feeling this on the first listen. The vocals weren't exactly exquisite or intriguing to me. Although after a couple listens I did start to really enjoy the writing in this, and there are some unique aspects. Although some parts are very harsh on my eyes. Nothing to really say.

6/10 1/2 cat points. 7 Total Points
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

In 6th place lands MNIN with a pretty enjoyable song.

MNIN with 5 Acres of Turnips by Pistol Annies

This shit is something my mother would be listening to when I was an infant. Growing up in the deep south there are definitely some stuff I vibe with in this. It's not my typical genre but it's okay, and of course turnips are goat.

6/10 2/2 cat points. 1 bonus point. 9 Total Points
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

In 4th and 5th place we welcome a tie between two kiddos who subbed the same song. :wowee: @falcon45ca @G-Man

Falcon with Peaches - The Presidents of the United States of America

What can I say? It's a classic. It feels like pandering to my kind of "casual rock" vibes. I always felt like this band never stood-out after this song, but this single definitely has a place.

7.5/10 2/2 cat points. 9.5 Total Points

G-man with Peaches - The Presidents of the United States of America

What can I say? I just said it...
7.5/10 2/2 cat points. 9.5 Total Points

Double trouble?
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

We have hit the podium.

In 3rd place earning my bronze medal is...

@Syn with Mangez des radis

Lol. As a long time french student, this took me back. This reminded me of the 100s of french tunes I listened while learning this terrific language. This song surprisingly has depth to it, I was pleasantly surprised. It's not my favorite, but solid and of course radishessss.

7 2/2 cat points. 1 Bonus point 10 total points.
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

Look Ricky Bobby, it's the first loser. In 2nd place here comes @Marmot

Marmot with Georgia by Ludacris, Field Mob and Jamie Foxx

Look this fits the kind of shit I will listen to. Is it the best rapping? No. Is it the most creative lyrical song? Nah. It's fun though, and I will enjoy nobody can stop me.

8.5 1/2 cat points. 1 bonus points. 10.5 Total Points
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

And the winner of Cat 3... it's @nutella

Nutella with The Ballad of Mr. Steak by Kishi Bashi

This dude just won my previous cat with a banger I had never heard. He now returns in cat 3 with another upbeat hitter. The hilarity of this song had me smiling as I was headbanging to a solid tune. There's just enough going on to hold my interest in the lyircs. Kishi a goat.

9/10 2/2 cat points 11 Total Points.

Wait huh, did this Kishi dude just win b2b cats? Feels like cheating
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

I forgot that I never posted the Cat 2 Results....

Let me get on that real quick

:hmm:

I was about to post everyone's score through 3 rounds, what a spoiler
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

@Marmot and I take turns subbing it everywhere tbh XD
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

nutella wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:24 pm @Marmot and I take turns subbing it everywhere tbh XD

LMAO!!

I can't believe the Ballad of Mr. Steak finished third in a walrus twice in one day!!!

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

DaughterOfOmega wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:38 pm Look Ricky Bobby, it's the first loser. In 2nd place here comes @Marmot

Marmot with Georgia by Ludacris, Field Mob and Jamie Foxx

Look this fits the kind of shit I will listen to. Is it the best rapping? No. Is it the most creative lyrical song? Nah. It's fun though, and I will enjoy nobody can stop me.

8.5 1/2 cat points. 1 bonus points. 10.5 Total Points

Ty for the reveal!!

Tbh I don't know this song at all, but I wanted to find a song that referenced turnips in honor of Turnip Head.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Syn
Hitman

Post by Syn »

c'est tres bon !!

ImageImageImageImage
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

Cat 2 Reveal tonight, and if I'm feeling poggies, cat 4 as well
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

In 8th place!
Red with Young Giants by Au/Ra

Loving these female vocals, and I'm checking out more from Au/Ra. I didn't love the beat here though, it felt overpowering at times, and the times where they have backing vocals really kills it for me. I wanted more of an atmospheric vibe, but the sound comes off too hard.
6.5 1/2 cat points. 7.5 Total
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

In 7th place

G-man with Omen by The Prodigy

Fan of the song, although this is not the mood I could ever have at work. I liked the drums, vocals, and various beats. I just wanted to rock out to this in my living room instead of being at work.
8/10 0/2 cat points. 8 Total
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

In 6th place

@Syn with Broadway in SimCity 3000

Feels like cheating almost, Simcity games have great background music for doing busy work. This had awesome variety, the various instruments all getting their little shine throughout the song. I will say there were a couple points where I felt like skipping to a new beat though. Just runs on a bit long.

7/10 2/2 cat points. 9 Total
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

In 5th place

@MyNameIsNothing with DAMN DANIEL by Bree Runway and Yung Baby Tate

Now this was interesting. I was getting vibes of MIA and Nicki from this, and I do love me some female queen leads. Catchy as hell and the beat goes just as hard as these two. It's a certified banger, but it's way too damn attention catching for this cat!
8.5/10 1/2 cat points. 9.5 Total
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

We skip 4th place and we hand out two bronze medals, in 3rd place

@falcon45ca with Technoir by Perturbator

This is a banger. I love the oldschool synth feel. The subtle changes throughout keep me interested and I'm headbanging slightly while typing this, great background to a busy day. My only issue would be toward the end I felt slightly anxious.
8.5/10 2/2 cat points. 10.5 Total

@nutella with Xylem Up by D Numbers

This is awesome, wish I had more things to write about it. I love the diverse use of instruments and sounds. It's really intriguing and keeps adding new things to pick up on. The harmony somehow stays with so many sounds coming and going. I want to move while listening to this, and my mind keeps picking up new things to focus in on. My only problem is that it takes me away from my work too much lol.
9.5/10 1/2 cat points. 10.5 Total

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”