All Things NFL

This is the place to discuss sports and play fantasy sports.

Moderator: Community Team

G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 53

Re: All Things NFL

Post by G-Man »

Thoughts on the Super Bowl?

I'd love to see Mahomes win, but I feel like San Francisco is a more complete team.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 31
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Go Chiefs. The 49ers are easily my least-favorite NFC team.

I do think SF is better put-together. If Mahomes plays well though it equalizes everything else.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 49
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

I kinda want Jimmy Garoppolo to win a Super Bowl. I’d laugh.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

My problem is that the 49ers just aren’t on my radar. They had a good season, but I just didn’t hear much about them all season. Perhaps it’s East Coast bias, but I just don’t know enough about them to say that I like or dislike them. In the absence of that, I default to the Chiefs because Mahomes is a thrill to watch when he’s on top of his game.
My Banners:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Also, this somehow feels like an underwhelming match-up from a casual fan perspective. Like, if this isn’t an amazing game, it will be one of those Super Bowls that gets forgotten about. Does anyone else feel that way?
My Banners:
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 19
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Mahomes is a thrill to watch I agree but I'm a John Lynch fan girl - totally great guy, he was a hero when he played here - so I'm torn. Maybe I won't pick a team and just watch it hoping for a good game.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 9
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Mahomes is cool but one player isn't a whole team.

I think this is a classic super bowl matchup because it features two really good teams without featuring the Patriots (perennially boring) or the heavy favorites (Ravens). Should be a great game.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I guess I just don't know what the story lines are for this Super Bowl outside of Mahomes vs. Brady's former understudy. Maybe it's the underwhelming way the Chiefs got to the Super Bowl by not having to go through Baltimore. And maybe it's just that San Francisco feels underwhelming to me despite being a #1 seed. East Coast bias- I don't pay much attention to West Coast teams.
My Banners:
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 32

Post by Epignosis »

I just kind of like Andy Reid and hope his team wins.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I loathe "story lines" in sports, so that makes this a pretty splendid matchup. I hate SF, so I'd prefer they not participate. I'll take it though.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I get what you mean about not liking story lines, but I at least like some kind of tension for the event. These teams are not rivals and cannot be construed as such. I think the fact that there were three or four strong teams in the NFC this year makes San Francisco seem unimpressive. There's a name recognition bias to that though, as the other teams had more name recognition- Green Bay, New Orleans, Seattle. Sure, San Fran is supposedly a "classic franchise" but their best years were the 80s and early 90s. Sure, they made it to the Super Bowl a few years ago, but who honestly remembers much from the Ravens-49ers Super Bowl aside from the fact that the lights went out and Beyonce performed?

Both teams can lean on the history angle- San Fran hasn't won since 1995. Kansas City hasn't won since 1970. But they both won before, so there's no first-time champ feel-good story. The 49ers are going for their 6th, which would be a more impressive quest if they New England hadn't already become the 2nd team to reach that mark. Kansas City is going for their second, so *yawn* there too.

For Kansas City, you've got the Andy Reid angle. He's been in the league forever and seeing him win it all would be nice. So, Reid and Mahomes are the compelling reasons to watch the Chiefs.

What are the compelling reasons to watch the 49ers? East Coast Bias- I don't know. Yes, 49ers fans have been through a championship drought, but they won five already, so those tears don't move me. Plus, I'm a Dolphins fan who hasn't seen my team make it since I started watching football. California is hardly starved for sports championships too.

Can anyone explain what is compelling about the 49ers aside from Brady's former understudy? From what I hear, they're running game is formidable but Jimmy G isn't poised under pressure.

I don't want the Super Bowl to be just a battle between two really good teams. Otherwise, let's just call it the Really Good Bowl. It's not usually the most impressive game of the playoffs, but I always hope for it to be.
My Banners:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

SF is a nicely run-driven offense and defensive powerhouse in a league that is largely dominated by absurd passing numbers (Jameis Winston threw for 5,000 yards FFS). I appreciate that they show the old school winning formula still has a place in the league.

And I hope they lose.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 9
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

I actually like shanahan more than Andy reid and what San Francisco accomplished this season is arguably more impressive
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 15

Post by ColinIsCool »

G-Man wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:55 pm My problem is that the 49ers just aren’t on my radar. They had a good season, but I just didn’t hear much about them all season. Perhaps it’s East Coast bias, but I just don’t know enough about them to say that I like or dislike them. In the absence of that, I default to the Chiefs because Mahomes is a thrill to watch when he’s on top of his game.
Agreed. I don’t really pay as close attention to the NFC during the season and don’t feel that strongly about most of the teams.
Epignosis wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:04 pm I just kind of like Andy Reid and hope his team wins.
Agreed. I like Andy a lot, I like Mahomes, the fanbase hasn’t won anything in half a century, and I can’t root for Kyle Shanahan after his brilliant choke job gave New England ring no. 5, or for a dynasty that has a bajillion championships already ... go Chiefs.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

This hasn’t been the most exciting game. The Super Bowl usually isn’t. Still a lot of time left for something interesting to happen.
My Banners:
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

JLo was exciting.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Halftime show was good but too much lip syncing.
My Banners:
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

And now the game is exciting. Also I didn't mind a little lip synching because of the dancing. But where was Pit Bull...?

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Bit of controversy with the go-ahead touchdown and the delay of game that wasn’t called that could have kept the 49ers alive.
My Banners:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I'm satisfied.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Agreeable result.

Sorry [mention]MacDougall[/mention]. Your team is loaded and could get back in the near future.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

MacDougall
Out of my scumrange
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MacDougall »

*grumbles*
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

So nobody has anything to say about Brady jumping ship to become a pirate?
My Banners:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

My interest in the entire league is lessened at the moment. I think there's a very real chance there won't even be a 2020 NFL season. Fans in the stands are almost definitely out.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:06 am My interest in the entire league is lessened at the moment. I think there's a very real chance there won't even be a 2020 NFL season. Fans in the stands are almost definitely out.
Don't tell that to our fans in Tampa -

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

And one more thing to celebrate in Tampa - Rob Gronkowski! Sure hope we have a season even if we're all watching from home.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

juliets wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:45 pm And one more thing to celebrate in Tampa - Rob Gronkowski! Sure hope we have a season even if we're all watching from home.
Well that just puts an asterisk on any success Brady has in Tampa. Gronk is hard to defend. He was Brady’s crutch in the past and it may be that way again.
My Banners:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I think they’re both well over the hill.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:11 pm I think they’re both well over the hill.
Going to FL to retire as rich elderly people are wont to do.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I hope Tom isn't kissing his children on the mouth down there. He's in the at-risk population.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

It is Joe Burrow day.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

One hour until Joe Burrow’s future goes belly up.
My Banners:
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I can't wait til Bill waits until day 3 of the draft to pick up a quarterback no one's paying attention to.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:43 pm I can't wait til Bill waits until day 3 of the draft to pick up a quarterback no one's paying attention to.
We'll give you #33 and Andy Dalton for #23.

:noble:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Nah, that pick needs to go to a lineman of some sort or a defensive back.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

I fell asleep before it ended but got a kick out of Jeudy and Ruggs going before Lamb.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:43 pm I can't wait til Bill waits until day 3 of the draft to pick up a quarterback no one's paying attention to.
You can have Jake Fromm if you want him — I'll get on the phone with Brandon Beane and sort it all out ...
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I would have been on board with that a week ago. I'll stick with stidham.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

Sloonei wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:22 pm I would have been on board with that a week ago. I'll stick with stidham.
I'd be a lot more upset about the developments in New England's QB room if I thought there was still going to be a full season.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

You gotta love the NFL’s optimism though, right?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Looks like the Redskins name is being retired. I didn’t expect them to be the first domino to fall.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/294 ... me-changed
My Banners:
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Long overdue, frankly.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Now what about the Kansas City Chiefs?
My Banners:
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Names like the Chiefs/Braves/Blackhawks do not bother me because they’re respectful, tasteful, celebrations of positive aspects of Native American iconography (if not also culture. Idk what the relationship is like between any of these franchises and the local Native American communities). “Redskins” is at best a distasteful informal term of mild mockery. At worst, it’s... much worse than that.

The Cleveland Indians are the real tricky one to me, and they’re apparently moving toward a name change as well. “Indian”, while a pretty ludicrous name for these particular people etymologically speaking, is not necessarily divisive today. But the franchise’s depiction and implementation of the imagery has historically been not-good, and the name as a sort of blunt and vague descriptor isn’t really drawing any positive inspiration from the source.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

Chiefs is not really a slur or derogatory nickname like Redskin or Indian, ditto with Braves, so I think they stay at least for now. At the very least though they should stop using Native imagery without cooperation with a local tribe and disallow fans from it too.

My favorite name for the team is the Warthogs or the Pigskins as a nod to their history, but I also wouldn’t ever for them to win a single game again so I don’t care.
Last edited by ColinIsCool on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

There's a lot of momentum headed in the direction of "Redwolves"

[VOTE: Washington Redwolves] aubergine

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:18 am There's a lot of momentum headed in the direction of "Redwolves"

[VOTE: Washington Redwolves] aubergine
Yeah I like that. Apparently the name they want is tied up in trademarks, which points to either that or the Washington Warriors (which I think it will be, since Rivera and reporters keep mentioning “tribute to the military”).
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Sloonei wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:43 pm Names like the Chiefs/Braves/Blackhawks do not bother me because they’re respectful, tasteful, celebrations of positive aspects of Native American iconography (if not also culture. Idk what the relationship is like between any of these franchises and the local Native American communities). “Redskins” is at best a distasteful informal term of mild mockery. At worst, it’s... much worse than that.

The Cleveland Indians are the real tricky one to me, and they’re apparently moving toward a name change as well. “Indian”, while a pretty ludicrous name for these particular people etymologically speaking, is not necessarily divisive today. But the franchise’s depiction and implementation of the imagery has historically been not-good, and the name as a sort of blunt and vague descriptor isn’t really drawing any positive inspiration from the source.
I can't speak for everyone, but I live in an area with a high Native American population (and I have Native American blood on both sides of my family). So many of them are Washington Redskins or KC Chiefs fans, but mostly Washington fans (including my uncle). My neighbor up the street is Native American and he has a huge Washington Redskins banner hanging over his garage (next to a Philadelphia Eagles banner- his wife's team of choice).

I'm sure there are Native Americans who don't like the name, but I can't think of ever meeting one in person who ever made that opinion known to me.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Epignosis wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:50 pm
Sloonei wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:43 pm Names like the Chiefs/Braves/Blackhawks do not bother me because they’re respectful, tasteful, celebrations of positive aspects of Native American iconography (if not also culture. Idk what the relationship is like between any of these franchises and the local Native American communities). “Redskins” is at best a distasteful informal term of mild mockery. At worst, it’s... much worse than that.

I can't speak for everyone, but I live in an area with a high Native American population (and I have Native American blood on both sides of my family). So many of them are Washington Redskins or KC Chiefs fans, but mostly Washington fans (including my uncle). My neighbor up the street is Native American and he has a huge Washington Redskins banner hanging over his garage (next to a Philadelphia Eagles banner- his wife's team of choice).

I'm sure there are Native Americans who don't like the name, but I can't think of ever meeting one in person who ever made that opinion known to me.
There is a fairly new (Feb. 2020) poll out from UC Berkely and the University of Michigan that disputes The Washington Post poll from 2016 which said that relatively few Native Americans take offense to the name. The new poll is described in the attached article but its bottom line was over half of 1000 Native Americans surveyed take offense to the name and other caricatures (tomahawk chop of the KS Chiefs for example) of their culture. Here is the article:

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/02/04/na ... ts-survey/

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Cam Newton has COVID