DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 1004

Re: Mafia: A World Asunder - GAME THREAD [Day 1]

Post by DharmaHelper »

Epignosis wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:44 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:32 pm
Sloonei wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:31 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:25 pm To me the only reason a person would vote to tie a lynch that they weren't in danger in is because they are on the tribunal or know who is and they want to save the person that is in the lead during the un-tied period.

Significantly more plausible baddie motives RE: Ties.
But what if there's a baddie team with nobody on the tribunal, and hypothetically one of their own is up for a lynch? They'd want to avoid that tie, wouldn't they?
Yeah if someone votes to break ties that's also worth looking at but what I'm saying is if someone votes to cause a tie, and especially if that tie then breaks against whoever they voted for, that's a red flag for me :shrug:
So...

Your strategy is to examine polls that get made into a tie and polls that do not get made into a tie?

Cool.
I'm not sure what's difficult to grasp about "I'm placing a higher level of scrutiny on votes that result in a tied lynch"
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 629
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

What do you think of the reason I gave for voting for Tranq, DH? It was your post, after all.
My banners:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tranq
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 144

Post by Tranq »

I'm glad you asked, juliets.

Note i said poll options, not polls. LC/BR polls are always important.
A World Reborn's Day 0 poll options were literally meaningless. Players had to choose between Prog and other music genres. Poll options had nothing to do with the lore of the game. The outcome of the poll, however, did.
I did a quick search on these poll options and didn't find anything meaningful, and made my post.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 382
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

MacDougall wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:01 am
Tranq wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:25 am Picture looks fine.

I can vote after having posted. Looks like DH saw he couldn't vote, posted, and then pooped about not being able to vote without realising he should now be able to.
Weird post.
MacDougall wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:06 amJack is bad
I was just about to give you a weird tell bad read.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Sloonei wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:56 pm What do you think of the reason I gave for voting for Tranq, DH? It was your post, after all.
Tranq's post RE: "the poll is meaningless" struck me as disingenuous. Like he wanted to find something to say and wanted to feign ignorance.

It's a suspicious thing to have said on his part, and a good reason to vote for him.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Tranq wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:58 pm I'm glad you asked, juliets.

A World Reborn's Day 0 poll options were literally meaningless. Players had to choose between Prog and other music genres. Poll options had nothing to do with the lore of the game. The outcome of the poll, however, did.
I did a quick search on these poll options and didn't find anything meaningful, and made my post.
Major Meeeehhhhhhh

ImageImage
ImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

MacDougall wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:07 am Jack my boy. Come, confess your sins to me.
I’m the towniest town there ever was. You’ll see. :slick:
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:59 pm
Sloonei wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:56 pm What do you think of the reason I gave for voting for Tranq, DH? It was your post, after all.
Tranq's post RE: "the poll is meaningless" struck me as disingenuous. Like he wanted to find something to say and wanted to feign ignorance.

It's a suspicious thing to have said on his part, and a good reason to vote for him.
My thoughts eggzacktly, but I give him less meh for his explanation just now.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Sloonei wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:04 pm

It's less suspicious of you to articulate those reasons instead of parroting me twice.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:06 pm
Sloonei wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:04 pm

It's less suspicious of you to articulate those reasons instead of parroting me twice.
I do not care about this right now.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 113
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Tranq wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:58 pm I'm glad you asked, juliets.

huh, you're right. I went back and looked at the game and indeed the poll options were just music genres but the poll outcome was those that those who voted one of the options got taken off the day 1 poll. So, I see what you mean about the difference between options and polls so this explanation rings true to me. Thanks for explaining.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Long Con wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:54 am Please note that the map grid in the first post has been updated to the current state of the map. It had been an older version. It went from this:

...to this:

LC, those are the exact same...
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 113
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

I have to get ready and go to a party so I will be on intermittently for the rest of the afternoon and evening.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
sabie12
Maiden of Mischief
Posts in topic: 177
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/herself/they

Post by sabie12 »

With all the talk of tying up lunches and the tribunal it does look like some of the roles impact the amount of votes people have on them anyway. So that would mean there is a potential for a situation to appear as a tie and then not really be that if someone has minus votes or extra secret votes put on them or whatever right? Or would the tribunal players know that information prior to their input?
Sometimes life does seem all planned out, like there's no choice in the matter. But that's just an illusion.
~Darren Shan~
sabie12
Maiden of Mischief
Posts in topic: 177
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/herself/they

Post by sabie12 »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:14 pm
Long Con wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:54 am Please note that the map grid in the first post has been updated to the current state of the map. It had been an older version. It went from this:

...to this:

LC, those are the exact same...
There are now bridges which I assume must be important for some reason?
Sometimes life does seem all planned out, like there's no choice in the matter. But that's just an illusion.
~Darren Shan~
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 70
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:49 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:40 pm Anyway I've ranked the people who have currently voted from most to least suspicious as of me typing this post without being linkied into any other votes:

Cbob - "His posting" is a funny but ultimately hollow and wormy way to explain the Colin vote
Colin - "No U" vote was cheeky but still bad.
Chuck - Did not give a reason for his DDL vote which IIRC came close to if not directly after Epi said he'd be voting DDL. Chuck pulling up to the train station early AF to save himself a seat.
Sloonei - Voting for anyone based on other people's reasons for suspecting people is suspicious to me. Make your own points. Stand on your own ground.
TH - Early vote for Sorsha for a hollow, funny reason. Doesn't look serious. Sorsha's not done anything overtly suspicious. Could be buddying/distancing but not worth losing my shit over instantly.
Epi - His DDL vote makes sense, he gave a good reason and was consistent.
I read this the first time but it's not exactly meaty by your standards. Why requote it?
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 168

Post by ColinIsCool »

Sloonei wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:45 pm
ColinIsCool wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:41 pm Sloonei is supertowning, which is good.
As a supertown, I demand that you talk about my Tranq vote.
I like it as far as where your mind’s at hunt-wise, but being unfamiliar with Tranq I’m reluctant to support it.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

[VOTE: ColinIsCool] aubergine
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

old habits die hard
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

colonialbob wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:48 am Jackofhearts2005 want to trust team? Coming back to a 30 player fancy game is intimidating and I need to find a handhold somewhere.
I’ll hold your hand, bae.
but only cause I miss you and also because I was kinda planning to sheep you, Sloonei and Speedchuck for the first half of the game anyway. And cause my Narya. Also cause I know you know you can’t just buddy me that easily in a lasting way so this doesn’t do you any good if you’re not town. Like I legit think this is a town indicative thing for you to say. Maybe a 3P one but statistics show you’re more likely town than 3P.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Enrique wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:15 am btw i decided i have a truth meta now
Lol let’s lynch Enrique.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:04 am Nutella is fluffing so hard this game I almost think she has a curse.
My gut instinct is “town” but that’s stupid cause there’s no basis for fluff Nutella = town.

Gth read her.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:06 am I normally don't analyse roles too deeply at once but I'm normally not given a list of 28 roles that I'm supposed to figure out the alignment of so that really incited my curiosity.
I did a little digging and psi ninja was previously town while Yin and Yang were previously 3P.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Fluffy nutella would make an excellent pastry filling.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

Turnip Head wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:28 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:49 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:40 pm Anyway I've ranked the people who have currently voted from most to least suspicious as of me typing this post without being linkied into any other votes:

Cbob - "His posting" is a funny but ultimately hollow and wormy way to explain the Colin vote
Colin - "No U" vote was cheeky but still bad.
Chuck - Did not give a reason for his DDL vote which IIRC came close to if not directly after Epi said he'd be voting DDL. Chuck pulling up to the train station early AF to save himself a seat.
Sloonei - Voting for anyone based on other people's reasons for suspecting people is suspicious to me. Make your own points. Stand on your own ground.
TH - Early vote for Sorsha for a hollow, funny reason. Doesn't look serious. Sorsha's not done anything overtly suspicious. Could be buddying/distancing but not worth losing my shit over instantly.
I read this the first time but it's not exactly meaty by your standards. Why requote it?
I believe he added me, possibly others.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 94

Post by nutella »

Tranq wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:26 pm
juliets wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:20 pm
Tranq wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:15 pm
LoRab wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:27 am Can I suggest that we change the vote word from aubergine to something that is not one of the role names? I mean, if the point is to be easily searched, then it seems to me it would make it easier if it were a word that isn't likely to come up. Also, lol to the hosts for putting that in there. :suspish:
This aubergine thing sounds silly. Why is there a need to have a vote word?
Because since the poll itself no longer shows vote order some people may want to go back through the thread and track the vote order so the word aubergine was attached to in-thread votes (using the vote tags). That way you can search aubergine and bring up the votes and see the order.
Ok, i previewed a vote and see how it works now. I thought y'all were literally typing aubergine every time.
Still, looks like not everyone uses the vote tags so it doesn't really work imo. The whole thing looks ridiculous :p
Tbh I think it doesn't actually work lol. Since the word is part of the tag code it's not actually searchable text. So it's kinda pointless.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

the tag code comes up in a Ctrl+F search but not a word search.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

ColinIsCool wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:41 pm Sloonei is supertowning, which is good.
Ok

Howbouyou
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason
Posts in topic: 171
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Re: Mafia: A World Asunder - GAME THREAD [Night 0]

Post by Kylemii »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:55 am
Kylemii wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:07 pm pichu is good in this game
How
she has the most muscles
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

nutella wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:45 pm
Ok

Howbouyou
Absolutely not supertowning.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Screw it let's get this over with early or I'll be uneasy for the rest of the game [VOTE: jackofhearts] aubergine
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

nutella wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:52 pm Screw it let's get this over with early or I'll be uneasy for the rest of the game [VOTE: jackofhearts] aubergine
Should be DH tbh
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

ColinIsCool wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:53 pm
nutella wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:52 pm Screw it let's get this over with early or I'll be uneasy for the rest of the game [VOTE: jackofhearts] aubergine
Should be DH tbh
Mmmm he's probably gonna turn 3p on like D4 or some shit
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

G-Man wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:19 pm Keep an eye on the folks who darted in here early and, in light of the D0 poll result, pooh-poohed ties on the lynch poll. It’s a subtle way to establish a preemptive cop-out for either train-hopping later (to show they stick to their convictions) or blame-shifting to set up fall guys who tie polls that result in mislynches.

Close lynches and ties (whether mid-phase or at EOD) are valuable sources of information. Granted, that information is best in hindsight after the herd has thinned some.
We may not know who is on the Tribunal but we’re starting out with more civs than baddies (unless this game is extra-double whacky) and there are also two baddie factions, so the odds are against Tribunal being filled with one baddie team.
what is tribunal?
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:32 pmYeah if someone votes to break ties that's also worth looking at but what I'm saying is if someone votes to cause a tie, and especially if that tie then breaks against whoever they voted for, that's a red flag for me :shrug:
when did this start? was this always your opinion on ties? i don't remember this coming up before and i feel like it would have, cus i basically do that constantly
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I'm pretty sure we'll catch scum in Ravenclaw. Let's focus on them.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Kylemii wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:05 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:32 pmYeah if someone votes to break ties that's also worth looking at but what I'm saying is if someone votes to cause a tie, and especially if that tie then breaks against whoever they voted for, that's a red flag for me :shrug:
when did this start? was this always your opinion on ties? i don't remember this coming up before and i feel like it would have, cus i basically do that constantly
he's talking about tribunal
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
DrWilgy
Posts in topic: 9

Post by DrWilgy »

DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:55 pm
Epignosis wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:44 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:32 pm
Sloonei wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:31 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:25 pm To me the only reason a person would vote to tie a lynch that they weren't in danger in is because they are on the tribunal or know who is and they want to save the person that is in the lead during the un-tied period.

Significantly more plausible baddie motives RE: Ties.
But what if there's a baddie team with nobody on the tribunal, and hypothetically one of their own is up for a lynch? They'd want to avoid that tie, wouldn't they?
Yeah if someone votes to break ties that's also worth looking at but what I'm saying is if someone votes to cause a tie, and especially if that tie then breaks against whoever they voted for, that's a red flag for me :shrug:
So...

Your strategy is to examine polls that get made into a tie and polls that do not get made into a tie?

Cool.
I'm not sure what's difficult to grasp about "I'm placing a higher level of scrutiny on votes that result in a tied lynch"
Scrutinize this.
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
colonialbob
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 384
Preferred Pronouns: He/his/him

Post by colonialbob »

:nicenod: :nicenod: :nicenod:
Sloonei wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:41 pm (In general I always think that pushing for a tie is a lame strategy. There's always a mechanism for deciding the result, and that mechanism always takes the responsibility of the outcome away from the hands of the voters, and that's never preferable. The existence of the tribunal does not change that. We should avoid any situations that would make the tribunal relevant, but none of this is really special to this game.)
:nicenod:

The reason to avoid ties has nothing to do with who is on the tribunal and everything to do with making it harder to draw conclusions from the lunch result.
colonialbob
Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

colonialbob wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:10 pm :nicenod: :nicenod: :nicenod:
Sloonei wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:41 pm (In general I always think that pushing for a tie is a lame strategy. There's always a mechanism for deciding the result, and that mechanism always takes the responsibility of the outcome away from the hands of the voters, and that's never preferable. The existence of the tribunal does not change that. We should avoid any situations that would make the tribunal relevant, but none of this is really special to this game.)
:nicenod:

The reason to avoid ties has nothing to do with who is on the tribunal and everything to do with making it harder to draw conclusions from the lunch result.
lern 2 post n00b
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Hey Colllllllin, aren't you gonna acknowledge my vote, Collllllin?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

my favorite thing in mafia games is attention.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

colonialbob wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:25 pm
colonialbob wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:48 am Hmm good, we've started actually playing.

Epi, you still feeling DDL?

SVS could be obliquely defending sabie or poking Sloonei. Not a big fan of sabie's response.

Jackofhearts2005 want to trust team? Coming back to a 30 player fancy game is intimidating and I need to find a handhold somewhere.
Update: I no longer want to trust team you.

Looks like a lot of people busy this weekend... including me (as I will be away most of today).

[VOTE: ColinIsCool] aubergine
Boo hiss.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:57 pm
Lynch Enrique
:clap:

This is the game where I have no original thoughts.
colonialbob
Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

ColinIsCool wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:37 pm
colonialbob wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:48 am Hmm good, we've started actually playing.

Epi, you still feeling DDL?

SVS could be obliquely defending sabie or poking Sloonei. Not a big fan of sabie's response.

@Jackofhearts2005 want to trust team? Coming back to a 30 player fancy game is intimidating and I need to find a handhold somewhere.
Why Jack?
I've played with him way more than anybody else here
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 38

Post by G-Man »

Kylemii wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:01 pm
G-Man wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:19 pm Keep an eye on the folks who darted in here early and, in light of the D0 poll result, pooh-poohed ties on the lynch poll. It’s a subtle way to establish a preemptive cop-out for either train-hopping later (to show they stick to their convictions) or blame-shifting to set up fall guys who tie polls that result in mislynches.

Close lynches and ties (whether mid-phase or at EOD) are valuable sources of information. Granted, that information is best in hindsight after the herd has thinned some.
We may not know who is on the Tribunal but we’re starting out with more civs than baddies (unless this game is extra-double whacky) and there are also two baddie factions, so the odds are against Tribunal being filled with one baddie team.
what is tribunal?
Knowledge is power:
Long Con wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:15 am The Tribunal of Judgement has been chosen. Three players will each secretly vote to decide the outcome of tied lynches.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
colonialbob
Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:14 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:57 pm
Lynch Enrique
:clap:

This is the game where I have no original thoughts.
That is every game

PS your hold hand post makes me feel better about you again, let's go solve this thing
colonialbob
Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

There's something specific that led to my vote but I don't want to share yet because I'd rather see how he handles the pressure

So far: not great, bob
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Tranq wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:15 pm
LoRab wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:27 am Can I suggest that we change the vote word from aubergine to something that is not one of the role names? I mean, if the point is to be easily searched, then it seems to me it would make it easier if it were a word that isn't likely to come up. Also, lol to the hosts for putting that in there. :suspish:
This aubergine thing sounds silly. Why is there a need to have a vote word?
Because I hate myself. :kadaj:
Tranq
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 144

Post by Tranq »

So what happens if there's a three-way tie and the three Tribunal members all vote differently?

Return to “Previous Jobs”