Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 722
Preferred Pronouns: they/any
Aka: tangy

Re: Death and Taxes: An Economics Mafia [DAY 3]

Post by Tangrowth »

Not here for more than a few minutes.

I've read the posts now, thankfully (well, not really) didn't take long.

Right now, I'm unsure of what to feel. aether, BR, splints, and TH are all on my radar, but I have a hard time believing this is the mafia team.

aether still refuses to actually provide reads, so hopefully she does so.
BR finally provides reads, but I'm not really convinced they're from a civilian mindset.
splints reads increasingly slippery to me.
TH is still evasive and not explaining much of his train of thought.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I'll be back closer to the deadline when I'm not trying to finish a million things. XD

What does everyone think of those players at the moment? Or anyone else for that matter?
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 769
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MP, what did splints say recently that struck you as slippery?
Spoiler: show
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 269

Post by G-Man »

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 358
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

I agree Black Rock's posts are filled witH OMGUS. Seems like an easy way to pull an argument off.

But I also agree that fingerplints has done some SERIOUS tunenling on Black Rock. It's rare to see such a hard offense on someone because of a single day 1 post which could be interpreted in multiple ways. So honestly I'm not sure if I'd have done any differently in BR's place. You have to confront the person who is doing a witch hunt on you. The whole thing feels so forced I wouldn't be surprised if they were both mafia bussing each other, though.

Her suspicions on Turnip are less personal. I don't think they are really strong though, they seem to be based more on gut feeling than anything. Sure, there's the whole Golden thing, but I think that's such an easy point to make which multiple other people have made before, and not a really strong one. Again, it felt like Turnip was pulling a gambit to make Golden talk. There's also suspicion on Turnip's fake Bubbles vote, which is pretty stupid since he was obviously joking about it, but I guess BR is just the 10h person to fail to notice that (seriously people, look at the poll when you want to analyse votes).
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

G-Man, could you attempt to explain why you suspect me?
fingersplints
Hitman
Posts in topic: 231

Post by fingersplints »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:I agree Black Rock's posts are filled witH OMGUS. Seems like an easy way to pull an argument off.

But I also agree that fingerplints has done some SERIOUS tunenling on Black Rock. It's rare to see such a hard offense on someone because of a single day 1 post which could be interpreted in multiple ways. So honestly I'm not sure if I'd have done any differently in BR's place. You have to confront the person who is doing a witch hunt on you. The whole thing feels so forced I wouldn't be surprised if they were both mafia bussing each other, though.

Her suspicions on Turnip are less personal. I don't think they are really strong though, they seem to be based more on gut feeling than anything. Sure, there's the whole Golden thing, but I think that's such an easy point to make which multiple other people have made before, and not a really strong one. Again, it felt like Turnip was pulling a gambit to make Golden talk. There's also suspicion on Turnip's fake Bubbles vote, which is pretty stupid since he was obviously joking about it, but I guess BR is just the 10h person to fail to notice that (seriously people, look at the poll when you want to analyse votes).
I don't think it's fair to say I am tunneling. I'm willing to talk about other people. That is more then what BR has done. I've already voted for someone else. Would someone leading a fucking "witch hunt" do that? This is really getting frustrating. It feels like you guys are just hearing what you want to hear or just making shit up. Some of these accusations make literally no sense to me.

By this bolded comment you seem to imply that this is at all personal. It isn't. Can you please link me to any place where this was made out to be a personal accusation?
Gro-oo-ovy
acrosstheaether
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 131

Post by acrosstheaether »

G-Man... why'd you put fingersplints higher than DDL? If I were to do my rainbow right now, I'd prolly switch their positions from those inside your chart.

I get the impression that either fingersplints or Black Rock are mafia, judging by their interactions, and failing both of those, Turnip Head. My non-turnip head would probably implode if there is not one mafioso among those three.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

acrosstheaether wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:The next person to posts some reads gets 5 bucks on paypal
Do rainbows count, Jay? :hug:
A rainbow would be fantastic!
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Also, you accuse me of tunneling when most every suspicion of me has been about my suspicion of BR. If you can figure out a way for me to defend myself without mentioning her I will, but until then yea I am going to have to talk about it a lot. This little Day 1 suspicion probably would have died down, but BR's behaviour and a couple others defense of her make me feel more strongly then ever that I am right.

BR I hope you can at least appreciate it from that perspective.
Gro-oo-ovy
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

fingersplints wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:I agree Black Rock's posts are filled witH OMGUS. Seems like an easy way to pull an argument off.

I don't think it's fair to say I am tunneling. I'm willing to talk about other people. That is more then what BR has done. I've already voted for someone else. Would someone leading a fucking "witch hunt" do that? This is really getting frustrating. It feels like you guys are just hearing what you want to hear or just making shit up. Some of these accusations make literally no sense to me.

By this bolded comment you seem to imply that this is at all personal. It isn't. Can you please link me to any place where this was made out to be a personal accusation?
Sorry, I may have phrased it wrong. By personal I mean, not self-defense like her accusations on you look like.

And by tunneling, I refer to how far you have gone because of one single post made at the beginning of the day 1. Sure, you have been doing other things, but when it comes to Black Rock all you do is repeat how suspicious you think her defense of MP was. And even though that may be right, it feels like you are trying to stretch an accusation over something you know you have little evidence for. Instead of waiting for more evidence, you keep insisting on one piece of evidence whose interpretation can only be taken so far.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

fingersplints wrote:If you can figure out a way for me to defend myself without mentioning her I will
That's exactly the problem. You and Black Rock's presences in this game have become defined by how hard you are accusing each other. Whenever I think of you, the first thing coming to my mind is "that girl who keeps pushing BR for her day 1 post". And for BR, it's "that girl who keeps being pushed by splints". It's just too much focus because of a single post.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:G-Man, could you attempt to explain why you suspect me?
My Banners:
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

G-Man wrote:
Well I guess that's just how I am. It doesn't feel right if I'm not being hostile to someone in a mafia game.
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
fingersplints wrote:If you can figure out a way for me to defend myself without mentioning her I will
That's exactly the problem. You and Black Rock's presences in this game have become defined by how hard you are accusing each other. Whenever I think of you, the first thing coming to my mind is "that girl who keeps pushing BR for her day 1 post". And for BR, it's "that girl who keeps being pushed by splints". It's just too much focus because of a single post.
:shrug2: seems a lose lose situation for me then. I'm not going to stop defending myself. :shrug2:

As I said before, she has offered no new evidence. :shrug: I believe that she was really sick. I don't believe a lot of people make up RL excuses, but the timing is convenient. She has made it impossible to move it past a suspicion of that comment by not posting. (whether or not unintentional)

If TH were bad, him buddying up to me would make a lot of sense tbh. He knows I play a bit on the emotional side, and would just need little nudges. And we just had some awesome btsc recently, so I naturally would be a bit more trusting of him.
Gro-oo-ovy
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

I also believe she was really sick, but I don't think that excuses someone from being suspected. It's not how much you post, it's how you post.

Right now, I'm feeling slighly mafia on her and slighly town on both you and turnip. But I wanted to point out that I felt your bickering with BR wad forced.

It should feel less forced from now on now that BR has made more of an input to the thread, I suppose. Let's see how this turns out.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
G-Man wrote:
Well I guess that's just how I am. It doesn't feel right if I'm not being hostile to someone in a mafia game.
My Banners:
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

@G-Man

Heh, I think I keep cruising between being great and being terrible at it. There was a game where I spotted almost the whole maifa team by myself. But there are games like this one where my score is just terrible.
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:I also believe she was really sick, but I don't think that excuses someone from being suspected. It's not how much you post, it's how you post.

Right now, I'm feeling slighly mafia on her and slighly town on both you and turnip. But I wanted to point out that I felt your bickering with BR wad forced.

It should feel less forced from now on now that BR has made more of an input to the thread, I suppose. Let's see how this turns out.
Maybe what you are picking up on is that I feel forced to talk about it more then I would it if I didn't have to defend it. :) We both aren't big posters anyways. We have literally been in games where we were the only two lynch options and probably had to talk about each other less.

Is there anything else you would like to talk about?
Gro-oo-ovy
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Not anything particularly.

But since you're asking, is there anyone you're suspecting besides BR?
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Not anything particularly.

But since you're asking, is there anyone you're suspecting besides BR?
I voted for aether. I made you a list of most to least suspicious. A whole bunch in the middle I don't know if I could really justify why I ranked one higher then the other. just gut feels I guess

Black Rock
Acrosstheaether
birdwithteeth11
Turnip Head
MovingPictures07
TinyBubbles
sanmateo
Dragon D. Luffy
JaggedJimmyJay
G-Man
Bass_the_Clever
Vompatti
Roxy
fingersplints
Gro-oo-ovy
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:MP, what did splints say recently that struck you as slippery?
It's just... what suspicions she has other than BR seem fabricated in a way to ride the tide of the thread. She didn't really seem to suspect aether at all until the tide of the thread started heavily turning that way, that's what I meant.

Even now, she voted for aether even though she blatantly admits BR is still her top suspect, and she says her list is built on "gut feels".
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

That said, I'm not sure what to do; I'm having a hard time making heads or tails of those four players. I really can't get a solid read on any of them.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Oh that's right, you voted for aether.

I'll probably do the same unless new information shows up, but I doubt that will happen at this point.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I will admit the push towards aether today does make me a bit nervous though. I feel like it'll be really easy for people to come in here and hop on the aether wagon. I know aether's behavior has warranted suspicion (something I've expressed), but I don't know what makes her any more suspicious than BR, splints, TH, or even anyone else (such as Vomps or G-Man) in terms of lack of contribution.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

GTMH I think I'd rather lynch BR or splints before aether.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

In fact, the fact that I kept asking splints over and over again for thoughts on suspects, and that she's barely delivered (couldn't even name one, yet she named she still 'really suspects BR') about a cycle ago, and now all of a sudden she has a list of players from least trusted to most, based on only gut feels "I guess", and she didn't even vote for her own top suspect... it all really bothers me. But I don't know.

I'd like to talk this out with others, but I need to really get this take home exam done. Ugh. I'll be back again.
sanmateo
The Mark
Posts in topic: 214

Post by sanmateo »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I will admit the push towards aether today does make me a bit nervous though. I feel like it'll be really easy for people to come in here and hop on the aether wagon. I know aether's behavior has warranted suspicion (something I've expressed), but I don't know what makes her any more suspicious than BR, splints, TH, or even anyone else (such as Vomps or G-Man) in terms of lack of contribution.
her vote on day 2
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

MovingPictures07 wrote:I will admit the push towards aether today does make me a bit nervous though. I feel like it'll be really easy for people to come in here and hop on the aether wagon. I know aether's behavior has warranted suspicion (something I've expressed), but I don't know what makes her any more suspicious than BR, splints, TH, or even anyone else (such as Vomps or G-Man) in terms of lack of contribution.
I get how you feel. it feels weird to me too that a lot of people are jumping on her when yesterday everyone was disagreeing with me on that.

It could be an easy scum bandwagon. Or it could be a well timed bussing from their part. Like, at this point she is so hopelessly scummy it wouldn't make sense for them to try to keep her alive.

But really, at this point I really can't see myself doing anything other than applying Occam's Razor and taking her down. She has been worse than the ones you mentioned, imo. They keep showing interest in the game and engaging people. Aether just keeps agreeing with others, making random remarks with no much explanation, and the whole "asks to be replaced but also vote then asks not to be replaced anymore" is just fishy as fuck.
sanmateo
The Mark

Post by sanmateo »

between fingersplints and black rock i would probably vote for the latter, because splints said she'd had bstc with turnip head

but theyre not my main suspects
sanmateo
The Mark

Post by sanmateo »

havent you said this for pretty much every bandwagon so far?
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Her lack of defense baffles me too. I've been bashing her constantly since day 1. But she doesn't seen to care. And now other people are saying they are going to lynch her, and she still doesn't care.

If this were closed setup I'd be calling her a jester.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
I get how you feel. it feels weird to me too that a lot of people are jumping on her when yesterday everyone was disagreeing with me on that.

It could be an easy scum bandwagon. Or it could be a well timed bussing from their part. Like, at this point she is so hopelessly scummy it wouldn't make sense for them to try to keep her alive.

But really, at this point I really can't see myself doing anything other than applying Occam's Razor and taking her down. She has been worse than the ones you mentioned, imo. They keep showing interest in the game and engaging people. Aether just keeps agreeing with others, making random remarks with no much explanation, and the whole "asks to be replaced but also vote then asks not to be replaced anymore" is just fishy as fuck.
This is a good point.

And you're right that she's made no effort to defend herself, which is odd.

I just always get really nervous in bandwagons, particularly when we haven't lynched mafia yet.

sanmateo wrote:
I said it once before, I recall, but naturally I didn't say it during D2 since I suspected Elo. :P

That said, in discussing Elo with TH and Jay, I did start to doubt myself, but I stood by Elo being my biggest suspect throughout nonetheless.

Who are your main suspects?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I also think easy bandwagons make it easy for disengaged civilians and mafia alike to pop in and wagon, making it difficult to discern results regardless of aether's flip.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Therefore, even though I may vote aether nonetheless, I do want to discuss others.

And sanmateo, you say her d2 vote makes her more suspicious than BR, splints, and TH. Can you elaborate on why?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

There is some precedent at least for aether playing this way as town.

A splints or BR lynch has a lot of promise to yield a mafia flip AND/or significant information about others. aether does feel like the easy button option, which is worrisome.

Can't say much at work. Those are my immediate thoughts.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

My Banners:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:There is some precedent at least for aether playing this way as town.

A splints or BR lynch has a lot of promise to yield a mafia flip AND/or significant information about others. aether does feel like the easy button option, which is worrisome.

Can't say much at work. Those are my immediate thoughts.
I agree. I do think we'd gain more information at this stage from lynching BR or splints than aether.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Hey G-Man, are you even allowed to write full texts in images like that? :shifty:

I agree other lynches may produce more information. But dunno, I'd give BR a little more time since she was sick last day and we can't really deny that. While aether had all the time to look like a townie and just failed spetacularly at that.

I agree BR looks like a baddie right now, though.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

DDL, if you had to rank your top 3 (or top 5) suspects right now, who would they be?
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:There is some precedent at least for aether playing this way as town.
When you are able to, could you elaborate on that?

Since aether can't defend herself to save her life it seems others will have to do that for her.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

MovingPictures07 wrote:DDL, if you had to rank your top 3 (or top 5) suspects right now, who would they be?
aether
birdwithteeth
BR

I'm not really reading anyone else as bad, though I have some mild suspicions on a few people (Roxy, splints, and Bass, I think).
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Hey G-Man, are you even allowed to write full texts in images like that? :shifty:
My Banners:
sanmateo
The Mark

Post by sanmateo »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:

This is a good point.

And you're right that she's made no effort to defend herself, which is odd.

I just always get really nervous in bandwagons, particularly when we haven't lynched mafia yet.

sanmateo wrote:
I said it once before, I recall, but naturally I didn't say it during D2 since I suspected Elo. :P

That said, in discussing Elo with TH and Jay, I did start to doubt myself, but I stood by Elo being my biggest suspect throughout nonetheless.

Who are your main suspects?
i wouldnt say you "stood by" anything
MovingPictures07 wrote:And that's why you never vote early.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

That was a joke. :P It was an Arrested Development reference ("and that's why you always leave a note").
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I said that because I just said something about AD references the post before.

I need to start flagging my joke posts.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I said that because I just said something about AD references the post before.

I need to start flagging my joke posts.
My Banners:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

People usually don't catch or laugh at my jokes, it's OK. As a fellow accountant, G-Man, I'm sure you can relate. :P
sanmateo
The Mark

Post by sanmateo »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Therefore, even though I may vote aether nonetheless, I do want to discuss others.

And sanmateo, you say her d2 vote makes her more suspicious than BR, splints, and TH. Can you elaborate on why?
did i say that? i feel like you are moving the goalposts but what makes her more suspicious is the fact she said she was gonna drop out and then voted for a player (who the mafia would assume was a townie) who had 3 votes on already, and then she said it was pointless to analyze the lynch
sanmateo
The Mark

Post by sanmateo »

i would rather vote mp or ddl tho but i'm gonna hold onto my vote til the end this time

Return to “Previous Side Missions”