Total votes: 14
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 358
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Death and Taxes: An Economics Mafia

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Iron Maiden has a song about economics too:

I mean, it isn't made completely clear in the lyrics, but it's about that. I remember seeing an interview where one of the band members confirms it.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

^ the lyrics in the description of the video are wrong, by the way. I recommend you look for the lyrics somewhere else if you wanna read them.
sanmateo
The Mark
Posts in topic: 214

Post by sanmateo »

posting kraftwerk = confirmed town
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 269

Post by G-Man »

I am shocked- SHOCKED I SAY- that nobody thought of this obvious little ditty when thinking about songs related to economics:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 769
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I think I'll sing a song by XTC of vague economic relevance when I get home.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 225
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Sup Econ class? I'll be sitting in the back of the classroom on my phone while the host lectures us, because this topic bores me, because I refuse to understand it. I picked "social science" though, because with such diverse viewpoints it doesn't make sense as a single branch of philosophy. Unless you're allowed to have a bunch of mini-branches underneath it. Is that how trees work? Does money grow on trees?
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 161
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Iron Maiden has a song about economics too:

I mean, it isn't made completely clear in the lyrics, but it's about that. I remember seeing an interview where one of the band members confirms it.
One of my favorite Iron Maiden albums right here. Isle of Avalon is easily one of their greatest songs. :clap:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Mafia: Image Image Image Image
Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Wow I love Isle of Avalon. I thought I was the only one. The chorus is amazing.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 722
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

So who hasn't still checked in? Only BWT?

XTC is awesome.

sanmateo, glad to see someone else who appreciates the almighty stature of Kraftwerk. :srsnod: That said, Rush is my favorite band, and always will be.

G-Man, nice catch! Somehow that slipped my mind. I suppose there are a decent amount of songs that are related to money, business, and thus economics as well.

Oh, and nice Iron Maiden song as well.

:drums:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

As much as I love talking about music (and economics, really), I'm so ready to start Day 1 discussion.

TinyBubbles, are you bad? (Since Llama is hosting, I felt obligated to fill the void).
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Jay, very curious what was on your mind. Hope you elaborate soon!
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

I'm curious too. This Day 0 has been fun, but it's hard to make reads on anyone when almost none of the posts are about the game. It's easier when everyone is accusing each other. I suppose that's what Day 1s are for.

Btw, I think it's very interesting how Jay started talking about making cases right after the second role was handed out. Which is interesting since the game was pretty much a blank state at that point. Though to be fair, he did say he had nothing at that point.

That could indicate an alignment change. If a player who has done nothing gets a new role and suddenly starts being proactive, it might mean a townie who became mafia, or vice-versa. Just a theory.
Russtifinko
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 66
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Death and Taxes: Polls

Post by Russtifinko »

So what is economics, exactly?

Poll ended at Tue May 19, 2015 5:04 pm

A branch of philosophy
Bass_the_Clever (5), JaggedJimmyJay (9), TinyBubbles (13), Roxy (17) 20%

A social science
Metalmarsh89 (2), sanmateo (4), Golden (7), MovingPictures07 (8), G-Man (10), Dom (12), Elohcin (14), Turnip Head (20) 40%

People making stories up to fit events after they happen
Dragon D. Luffy (3), Black Rock (11), Sloonei (16) 15%

A good way to trick people into giving you things
Epignosis (15), fingersplints (19) 10%

An excuse to make a mafia game (Hosts)
Russtifinko (1), S~V~S (6), thellama73 (18) 15%
Total votes : 20
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 191
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Re: Death and Taxes: An Economics Mafia [DAY 1]

Post by Sloonei »

JJJ's behavior does not change with his alignment, he does this whether he is town or scum.

Saying this negates the accusation I want to assert that the players expressing the most interest in starting the game are scum, so I'll have to find a new entry point into this thing.
I've also been very anxious for things to get going. Playing on a new site is exciting, like Mafia Christmas.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Just to be clear for myself and fellow noobs: once we submit a vote in the poll, it is final and we cannot change it again that day?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Russtifinko
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 66
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Russtifinko »

Death and Taxes: Day 1

The various brilliant minds started off by getting to know each other. They celebrated their diverse backgrounds and the exchange of ideas that such a fortuitous congregation of geniuses could facilitate. They also rocked out! ;airguitar:

Some even began to preach:
Epignosis wrote:Redistribution belongs under your Christmas tree and not in your wealth.

At this, a voice was heard to mutter: "Unless you have this Christmas classic!"

The group immediately knew there were some among them who DID believe that the redistribution of wealth was not simply a means of pacifying the populace, but an actual defensible stance on economic policy! They cast their eyes around the room (figuratively, of course). These no-gooders HAD to be found...otherwise, they could drive the entire economy of Europe into the ground! (Note: most people present cared about this, primarily because they lived in Europe.)

However, no one could tell where the voice had come from. Who could possibly be behind such threateningly ignorant notions? And even more importantly, where HAD that damn bottle of '84 Chablis gotten to?

It is now Day 1. You have 48 hours to lynch someone.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 294

Post by Golden »

Sloonei wrote:Just to be clear for myself and fellow noobs: once we submit a vote in the poll, it is final and we cannot change it again that day?
This is usually, but not always, the case on this site. The rules didn't seem to clarify, so maybe the hosts could clarify?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Sloonei wrote: Saying this negates the accusation I want to assert that the players expressing the most interest in starting the game are scum, so I'll have to find a new entry point into this thing.
I'm curious, why would you think that? From my experience, scum players usually want the game to move nowhere for as long as possible.

For example, in the last game I was mafia, I convinced town to spend a phase lynching a fellow scum partner who I knew was immune to lynches, just to stall the game.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:I'm curious too. This Day 0 has been fun, but it's hard to make reads on anyone when almost none of the posts are about the game. It's easier when everyone is accusing each other. I suppose that's what Day 1s are for.
there's the rub, eh? it's my style to start fast, but the format of Day 0 here and the non-presence of vote changes (i think?) kind of negate that. without more game-relevant posts to talk about, even if minimally relevant, there's really nothing to say. but now we're at Day 1, so super!
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Btw, I think it's very interesting how Jay started talking about making cases right after the second role was handed out. Which is interesting since the game was pretty much a blank state at that point. Though to be fair, he did say he had nothing at that point.

That could indicate an alignment change. If a player who has done nothing gets a new role and suddenly starts being proactive, it might mean a townie who became mafia, or vice-versa. Just a theory.
the validity of your assertion here is debatable. i'll leave you and others to explore the notion that my Day 0 conduct was indicative of an alignment change, and offer my input when the content demands it. however, i find myself more interested in the implications of this theory you've proposed. based on what you saw from me in Day 0, which side of that theory do you find more plausible? that i was town and became scum, or that i was scum and became town?

the distinction is obviously important. my current role ought to mean a great deal more to everyone than my previous role.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Sloonei wrote: Saying this negates the accusation I want to assert that the players expressing the most interest in starting the game are scum, so I'll have to find a new entry point into this thing.
I'm curious, why would you think that? From my experience, scum players usually want the game to move nowhere for as long as possible.

For example, in the last game I was mafia, I convinced town to spend a phase lynching a fellow scum partner who I knew was immune to lynches, just to stall the game.
I don't think that, I was just gonna say it to get things rolling on Day 1.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

until one of the hosts has responded to the queries regarding vote changes in the poll, i will refrain from making any vote in the poll. however, i would like to represent a "vote" in the thread in some manner before that declaration is made. votes are highly important to my Day 1 methods. just like before, if i italicize your username, know that i am voting for you in spirit if not necessarily the poll. i'll underline it too for good measure.

if the hosts declare that the poll vote may be changed then this will no longer be necessary.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Sloonei, could you describe the strategy you hoped to develop with the approach you just explained to DDLuffy? when you say "get things rolling", what shape did you envision responses to your assertion taking? do you feel you've lost much of the potential in that strategy by immediately explaining it thusly when prompted by DDLuffy (visibly to everyone else)?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

one unfortunate note, at least for me:

the phases here will apparently be ending at inopportune times for me. i'll be leaving for work hours before the lynch deadlines, and i have no access to this game at work. i don't work at a desk, and moreover even when i am at a computer this site is blocked there. i've checked. i might be able to get involved on my phone a tiny bit, but i can't make promises. so most of my involvement in this game is going to have to be in the first half of day phases; i've no choice.

of course, that problem might be alleviated some if this game will be employing a hammer. will lynches be immediate upon reaching a majority vote, or are the deadlines fixed?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Yay Day 1!!

Yes, the norm is NOT for changeable votes, but a host or two started experimenting with it, and it became a bit of a trend, so it's definitely been utilized, but it's still not considered a norm.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:one unfortunate note, at least for me:

the phases here will apparently be ending at inopportune times for me. i'll be leaving for work hours before the lynch deadlines, and i have no access to this game at work. i don't work at a desk, and moreover even when i am at a computer this site is blocked there. i've checked. i might be able to get involved on my phone a tiny bit, but i can't make promises. so most of my involvement in this game is going to have to be in the first half of day phases; i've no choice.

of course, that problem might be alleviated some if this game will be employing a hammer. will lynches be immediate upon reaching a majority vote, or are the deadlines fixed?
I've never seen a game here where the deadlines weren't fixed; the player with the most votes at deadline will be lynched. I have no reason to believe this will not be the case, but the hosts can clarify for sure.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Jay, very curious what was on your mind. Hope you elaborate soon!
as i suggested before, i didn't have a specific point to make when i asked about the etiquette here. rather, i anticipated having a point to make and wanted to make sure it'd be kosher to do so before just blabbing it out in the midst of otherwise cordial non-game chatter.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Jay, very curious what was on your mind. Hope you elaborate soon!
as i suggested before, i didn't have a specific point to make when i asked about the etiquette here. rather, i anticipated having a point to make and wanted to make sure it'd be kosher to do so before just blabbing it out in the midst of otherwise cordial non-game chatter.
Understood, I assumed you had at least something going on in your mind, but this makes more sense considering practically nothing could be gained by Day 0 activity (especially with the roles changing).
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Sloonei, could you describe the strategy you hoped to develop with the approach you just explained to DDLuffy? when you say "get things rolling", what shape did you envision responses to your assertion taking? do you feel you've lost much of the potential in that strategy by immediately explaining it thusly when prompted by DDLuffy (visibly to everyone else)?
I suppose I was just anxious to start playing here and wanted to assert myself into the game as quickly as possible. First impressions are nice. I imagined the responses to begin some form of a discussion about the game and whatever Mafia Philosophies people might want to express. I have not lost any potential in the strategy, as my goal was simply to open up a game-related discussion, and look at these posts!
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Sloonei wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Sloonei, could you describe the strategy you hoped to develop with the approach you just explained to DDLuffy? when you say "get things rolling", what shape did you envision responses to your assertion taking? do you feel you've lost much of the potential in that strategy by immediately explaining it thusly when prompted by DDLuffy (visibly to everyone else)?
I suppose I was just anxious to start playing here and wanted to assert myself into the game as quickly as possible. First impressions are nice. I imagined the responses to begin some form of a discussion about the game and whatever Mafia Philosophies people might want to express. I have not lost any potential in the strategy, as my goal was simply to open up a game-related discussion, and look at these posts!
Jay, what do you think of this response? Do you have any read whatsoever on Sloonei's behavior thus far?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MovingPictures07 wrote:XTC is awesome.
as pledged: (XTC - "Earn Enough for Us")

don't mind me, strangers. i strive to make everyone as uncomfortable as possible. :p

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
Jay, what do you think of this response? Do you have any read whatsoever on Sloonei's behavior thus far?
What do you think of my response?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:XTC is awesome.
as pledged: (XTC - "Earn Enough for Us")

don't mind me, strangers. i strive to make everyone as uncomfortable as possible. :p
Awesome. :haha:

Great song, amazing album.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
i think he answered appropriately, at least in that i either agree with or take no issue with the points made. first impressions on a new site are important, and i readily admit i have been conscious of the same thing myself. and he is correct that a series of game-relevant posts now exist in this very thread as a direct result of what he said.

how do you feel, MP? express your emotions.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Sloonei wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
What do you think of my response?
Seems genuine to me. I don't see any holes in your explanation, but I'm far from committing a civilian read.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

This all seems fair so far, no one has tripped any alarms yet. Is anyone else here?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

At the moment, I don't have anything notable regarding any player, but I look forward to developing thoughts regarding everyone throughout the course of Day 1.

That said, throughout playing Day 0, I had considered certain theories and reads. One such was how Bass's activity early on in the game and the way he responded to me made me feel at least slightly good about him, but I keep having to tell myself that such a assertion is equivalent to almost random chance, as it was impossible to discern his alignment from such an interaction (it's more telling about just how engaged he is in a game), particularly so considering the roles switched up.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MovingPictures07, one might assert you've made a concerted effort here to earn Bass's early good graces without having to commit yourself to a truly positive read -- even if minor.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Syndicateers, if any of you might have meta-based input: who among the current player list (other than the new players) do you think are most likely to respond in an emotional way to early pressure? for you RYMers, i am looking for their version of RDW.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:MovingPictures07, one might assert you've made a concerted effort here to earn Bass's early good graces without having to commit yourself to a truly positive read -- even if minor.
Fair enough, such an assertion would be flawed, however. I have a close friendship with Bass and I was on a baddie team with him in the infamous WWE, where I begged people not to vote for me in a VERY intense lynch, and somehow managed to get another player to gain one more vote than me, only to use a lynch switch to switch it to myself. The chaos that ensued thereafter due to the insane amount of detail and reads in my posts as well as S~V~S and Bass's brilliant baddie plays allowed them to snag the win.

That said, he has the tendency more than some to slide under the radar, whether intentional or not, and I also feel he's one of the few players I can read relatively well, so I specifically wanted to engage him in the game in order to gauge his activity, and I intend on doing so to a much more serious degree as long as I'm alive to do so.

I really don't care whether he thinks I'm bad or not; I get lynched often and I have nothing to hide this game.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Btw, I think it's very interesting how Jay started talking about making cases right after the second role was handed out. Which is interesting since the game was pretty much a blank state at that point. Though to be fair, he did say he had nothing at that point.

the validity of your assertion here is debatable. i'll leave you and others to explore the notion that my Day 0 conduct was indicative of an alignment change, and offer my input when the content demands it. however, i find myself more interested in the implications of this theory you've proposed. based on what you saw from me in Day 0, which side of that theory do you find more plausible? that i was town and became scum, or that i was scum and became town?

the distinction is obviously important. my current role ought to mean a great deal more to everyone than my previous role.
The main point of this was to see your reaction, and the reaction of others to what me/you say. I usually do that by directly calling people scum, but since there was barely any evidence for that, I went for some fringe theory. Throwing an idea on the wall and seeing whether it stickes or not, and how.

Well, in a practical sense, being more proactive means you are town now, and your posting style seems to suggest that, assuming you're not faking it. Though the opposite could also be true, specially since I don't know you. Some players like to stay in the shadows when they're town.

Now, Slooney did say you always play like this, so the theory is probably moot.
Sloonei wrote:
I get you. I'm trying to do the same thing here. I want to make people talk to see if can get someone knocked out of their confort zone.

I do think it's weird that you tried to start a conversation by saying something you don't actually believe in.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Syndicateers, if any of you might have meta-based input: who among the current player list (other than the new players) do you think are most likely to respond in an emotional way to early pressure? for you RYMers, i am looking for their version of RDW.
Either me, Dom, or Roxy.

I get a lot of attention due to my propensity to be given bad roles, baddie gambits I've pulled off, general miscommunications, as well as various other reasons, most notably posting a lot and leaving much for players to pick at and turn mountains into molehills. I have therefore gotten emotional to repeated accusations in my direction early in games, after what I felt were unfair accusations by many in consecutive games.

Dom tends to be a very driven player, who acts a lot of questions, but has an emotional demeanor. He wants people to explain themselves and he will ask whatever questions he has on his mind. If someone voted for him or eyed him early on, you better bet it'd get a response.

Rox is similar to Dom, I think, but her playstyle doesn't have the question-asking character that Dom has.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

DDL, I can vouch for Jay's behavior being this way regardless of alignment. He has perhaps the most civilian-seeming game of any player I've ever met, except for perhaps Golden or juliets.

I also have a question for you. You said to Sloonei:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote: I do think it's weird that you tried to start a conversation by saying something you don't actually believe in.
What implications does "weird" have for you? Are you reading civilian, mafia, or neutral on Sloonei? Do you believe his explanation?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Some players like to stay in the shadows when they're town.
rest assured, i don't like to stay in the shadows when i'm anything. ;)

i think the most fundamental and simple means of scumhunting is merely to post a lot. a high-activity thread is a bigger challenge for scum teams than a low activity thread, obviously. and it isn't just because there is more content to assess -- it's also because real-time communication is more difficult for players with a reason to second-guess the things they say. and when post counts/content slack in an obvious way, it can be very exposing.

of course many experienced scummers have learned to cope with this. but it's still beneficial. so i love to post constantly, and when the content allows it provide thorough analysis.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Syndicateers, if any of you might have meta-based input: who among the current player list (other than the new players) do you think are most likely to respond in an emotional way to early pressure? for you RYMers, i am looking for their version of RDW.
Either me, Dom, or Roxy.

I get a lot of attention due to my propensity to be given bad roles, baddie gambits I've pulled off, general miscommunications, as well as various other reasons, most notably posting a lot and leaving much for players to pick at and turn mountains into molehills. I have therefore gotten emotional to repeated accusations in my direction early in games, after what I felt were unfair accusations by many in consecutive games.

Dom tends to be a very driven player, who acts a lot of questions, but has an emotional demeanor. He wants people to explain themselves and he will ask whatever questions he has on his mind. If someone voted for him or eyed him early on, you better bet it'd get a response.

Rox is similar to Dom, I think, but her playstyle doesn't have the question-asking character that Dom has.
thank you, this is a significantly more insightful response than i figured i'd get.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Jay, to add to what I said, not sure anyone in this game is an RDW type of player, but hopefully that answers your question. Having reviewed the players in this game, I feel I definitely answered your question most accurately in terms of the players who react most notably to early pressure.

I know you didn't ask, but it got me thinking. The Syndicate players who would probably be LEAST likely to react emotionally to pressure early on are: BWT, BR, Elo, and Epi.

BWT, BR, and Elo just seem as though they would be least emotionally reactive to an early suspicion of them, though I'm sure they would react, and Epi would most certainly react, and his reaction would be notable, but he would likely do so in a very measured manner, not an emotional one. I don't see Epi get cornered emotionally very often, even though he tends to receive a lot of heat for his unique style of playing.

Inevitably, this is all my opinion, but that goes without saying. I'm not sure whether others would agree or disagree with my assessments, but I think I've given the best responses.

I also love posting as much as I can. :P

And no problem!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Also listening to Skylarking thanks to Jay's 'singing'. :P

Just kidding, it's way better than my singing.

Anyway, it's an amazing album that I haven't listened to in WAY too long.
sanmateo
The Mark
Posts in topic: 214

Post by sanmateo »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:I'm curious too. This Day 0 has been fun, but it's hard to make reads on anyone when almost none of the posts are about the game. It's easier when everyone is accusing each other. I suppose that's what Day 1s are for.

Btw, I think it's very interesting how Jay started talking about making cases right after the second role was handed out. Which is interesting since the game was pretty much a blank state at that point. Though to be fair, he did say he had nothing at that point.

is there anything that a possible alignment change would say about jay right now tho? ftr i dont think he didnt become more proactive. he did say he was going to post some reads as day 0 ended but nothing happened afaict

for reference, here's the last time he was scum: https://rateyourmusic.com/board_message ... msg5765318 (jay, if you are scum this time please dont murk me on night 1. thx)
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

c'mon all y'all. make some posts, and feed this Day 1 with delicious new content. every new player making an appearance allows responses from the rest, and it's exponential growth of content. that's like an economics thing or something right?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote: I do think it's weird that you tried to start a conversation by saying something you don't actually believe in.
What implications does "weird" have for you? Are you reading civilian, mafia, or neutral on Sloonei? Do you believe his explanation?
I think it's very likely that it's true, and that it could just be a different way of thinking. I've been wrong about players because I didn't agree with their way of hinking so I framed them as scum, when the truth was that they were just different from me.

But I also see the possibility of a scum slip. For example, he might have tried to start a conversation just to make it look like he's talking, and when someone (me) tried to question what he said, he backed down because he isn't really interested in discussing.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 110

Post by Epignosis »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:until one of the hosts has responded to the queries regarding vote changes in the poll, i will refrain from making any vote in the poll. however, i would like to represent a "vote" in the thread in some manner before that declaration is made. votes are highly important to my Day 1 methods. just like before, if i italicize your username, know that i am voting for you in spirit if not necessarily the poll. i'll underline it too for good measure.

if the hosts declare that the poll vote may be changed then this will no longer be necessary.
Listen, foreigner. Your ways are strange here.
MovingPictures07 wrote:BWT, BR, and Elo just seem as though they would be least emotionally reactive to an early suspicion of them, though I'm sure they would react, and Epi would most certainly react, and his reaction would be notable, but he would likely do so in a very measured manner, not an emotional one. I don't see Epi get cornered emotionally very often, even though he tends to receive a lot of heat for his unique style of playing.
It happens. I just take it out on hobos and homeless people. When they see me running up the sidewalk screaming about how I'm about to get lynched because my kill didn't go through, they start looking for gainful employment.

I like to do my part. :noble:
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Previous Side Missions”