JaggedJimmyJay
No votes
KZA
No votes
Poison
No votes
No Eviction
10%
Tarek El Moussa and Christina Haack (Host, MoD, Dead, Nons)
50%

Total votes: 10
Enrique
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 140

Re: Mafia (DAY 6)

Post by Enrique »

It didn't come out of nowhere. G-Man left hints, and not just in the flavor but especially in the set-up. It was winnable. It wasn't that bad.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 39

Post by G-Man »

While much of this setup is hardly original, it first came to me as an interesting idea about two years ago. At first I dismissed it and set it aside, but then I witnessed and played a game or two in which the civvies just brutally savaged each other while the baddies sat back and let them do most of the work. People just couldn’t see past their own biases and preconceived notions of how mafia is solved. It bugged me enough to revisit the idea.

Around that same time, 'no lynch' options were appearing in a few game polls, and that stood out to me as the way to make this whole system actually work, rather than just let civvies off each other one at a time until only one or two remain. Stringing things along for that length of time would be cruel. The Racket format also jumped out at me as a way to lessen the blow of the ruse. By making the game fast and limit posts, I saw an opportunity for players to engage at a minimal level, hopefully reducing the amount of time 'wasted' by taking part.

The point was never to put certain, mechanically-focused mafia players in their place. That’s a form of nastiness that isn't normally in my nature. We're all stubborn in our own ways anyway. Rather, the point was (and is) to see how much evidence it requires in order for a group of people to look past the assumption that there is a mafia faction and vote against their instincts. In this case, it required more time than the civvies had before crossing the point of no return.

I told my wife at the very beginning of this game that I could very well get in trouble for this one. In its most base form, this kind of setup is little more than a dirty trick for the host's amusement- a "troll game" as JaggedyJimmyJay referred to the possibility on more than one occasion. I hope you can believe me when I say that this was not intended to be, nor ever was a "troll game" for me. I included numerous hints in the flavor posts that pointed toward the truth of the matter. I wanted you guys to see it, factor the flavor in with the ever-growing list of potent civvie roles, and push past the normal bounds of game thought.

Despite what some of you have said, you were never playing against me. I am the host- I cannot win anything as the host. I was always on your side. I wanted this game/experiment/whateveritevenis to be a success. The first two days were amusing to watch, for sure, as you all got situated and subsequently bounced around, but I was always cheering for you all to figure it out. Days 3 and 4 I was like the goblins at the beginning of Labyrinth- leaning in, wondering if it was all going to click.

By Day 5, things turned, and it was much more uncomfortable to watch play out. Things got testy, and the mood grew bleaker and harsher than I had hoped for. For a game designed for low content, it was a real mental struggle to watch long stretches go by with no activity. I could tell that I had created a game that ceased to be fun or even interesting to some of you. I won't lie, it stung a little, because I pride myself on creating games that are wild and confusing, but also fun. It wasn't the first game where I ceased to have fun hosting it, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

To be continued...
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Alison
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 75
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by Alison »

Enrique wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:36 pm It didn't come out of nowhere. G-Man left hints, and not just in the flavor but especially in the set-up. It was winnable. It wasn't that bad.
I don't read flavor.

Flavor being relevant to in-game mechanics is also bastard.
There's nothing that says a fake can't surpass the real thing.
KZA
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 66
Preferred Pronouns: Any
Aka: KZA

Post by KZA »

poor Marmot actually got murdered everyone else was just evicted
KZA
Hally wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:51 am eating an entire sandwich is not that hard
Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

I've never heard of bastard games, I don't care what they are or whether this was one or not. I come here to play games by and with my mafia friends and I did. It's not more serious than that.
ImageImageImageImage
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 22
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

Alison wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:27 pm So now we have a game explicitly declared bastard that contained no bastard elements and a game marketed as simply "mafia" that contains no mafia

I suggest we create a Game of Champions next year where only players who have not won a game on the Syndicate in 2021 get to sign up.
The mod lying about the game being bastard is in and of itself bastard
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 34
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Wow!!! I can't think of a better game to get evicted Night 1. :biggrin:

WTF G-Man! Also, kudos to you for trolling every single one of your players. :beer:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Scirrus
The Mark
Posts in topic: 144
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Post by Scirrus »

I have learned my lesson. I will follow you anywhere next time @Enrique
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 11
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

G-Man wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:39 pm While much of this setup is hardly original, it first came to me as an interesting idea about two years ago. At first I dismissed it and set it aside, but then I witnessed and played a game or two in which the civvies just brutally savaged each other while the baddies sat back and let them do most of the work. People just couldn’t see past their own biases and preconceived notions of how mafia is solved. It bugged me enough to revisit the idea.

Around that same time, 'no lynch' options were appearing in a few game polls, and that stood out to me as the way to make this whole system actually work, rather than just let civvies off each other one at a time until only one or two remain. Stringing things along for that length of time would be cruel. The Racket format also jumped out at me as a way to lessen the blow of the ruse. By making the game fast and limit posts, I saw an opportunity for players to engage at a minimal level, hopefully reducing the amount of time 'wasted' by taking part.

The point was never to put certain, mechanically-focused mafia players in their place. That’s a form of nastiness that isn't normally in my nature. We're all stubborn in our own ways anyway. Rather, the point was (and is) to see how much evidence it requires in order for a group of people to look past the assumption that there is a mafia faction and vote against their instincts. In this case, it required more time than the civvies had before crossing the point of no return.

I told my wife at the very beginning of this game that I could very well get in trouble for this one. In its most base form, this kind of setup is little more than a dirty trick for the host's amusement- a "troll game" as JaggedyJimmyJay referred to the possibility on more than one occasion. I hope you can believe me when I say that this was not intended to be, nor ever was a "troll game" for me. I included numerous hints in the flavor posts that pointed toward the truth of the matter. I wanted you guys to see it, factor the flavor in with the ever-growing list of potent civvie roles, and push past the normal bounds of game thought.

Despite what some of you have said, you were never playing against me. I am the host- I cannot win anything as the host. I was always on your side. I wanted this game/experiment/whateveritevenis to be a success. The first two days were amusing to watch, for sure, as you all got situated and subsequently bounced around, but I was always cheering for you all to figure it out. Days 3 and 4 I was like the goblins at the beginning of Labyrinth- leaning in, wondering if it was all going to click.

By Day 5, things turned, and it was much more uncomfortable to watch play out. Things got testy, and the mood grew bleaker and harsher than I had hoped for. For a game designed for low content, it was a real mental struggle to watch long stretches go by with no activity. I could tell that I had created a game that ceased to be fun or even interesting to some of you. I won't lie, it stung a little, because I pride myself on creating games that are wild and confusing, but also fun. It wasn't the first game where I ceased to have fun hosting it, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

To be continued...

well said, yeah this is all totally valid imo

i think it would be good in the future to include "bastard game" disclaimers but this was very much an experiment and you clearly put a lot of careful thought into how to go about it -- obviously people still ended up not enjoying it a ton but i think it was fine for what it was and there were some subtle hints etc
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Alison wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:42 pm
Enrique wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:36 pm It didn't come out of nowhere. G-Man left hints, and not just in the flavor but especially in the set-up. It was winnable. It wasn't that bad.
I don't read flavor.

Flavor (and by extension, theme) is the very reason I host. I don't host mafia games just to assemble a bunch of weird roles for the sake of assembling a bunch of weird roles. I host mafia in order to tell a story. Mafia is my mistress, but it is also my only creative outlet at this time.
My Banners:
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Alison wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:42 pm
I don't read flavor.

i think there were hints other than just in flavor though tbh

even in the original sign up he said the number of players literally didn't matter lol, and the increasing flips and lack of night deaths etc

but gman has been known to have game relevant flavor so there could have been notice of that i guess
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Scirrus
The Mark

Post by Scirrus »

Marmot wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:44 pm Wow!!! I can't think of a better game to get evicted Night 1. :biggrin:

WTF G-Man! Also, kudos to you for trolling every single one of your players. :beer:
Now I regret killing you instead of leaving you alive to suffer :grin:
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 146

Post by Epignosis »

Alison wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:32 pm
Long Con wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:28 pm
Alison wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:23 pm
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:15 pm "What if everyone is town" is a funny idea but annoying and a waste of time jn practice
The worst thing about this is that I'll have to hear "everyone is so dang townie! what if everyone is town and there's no mafia and the host is jerking our chain?" which I hear in every closed setup role madness game I play and shoot down every time because it's silly.

Except now it actually happened so people will take it seriously lol
Twice at the same time, even!
Well, GOC didn't have a mafia in the traditional sense but there was a hostile 3P making nightkills that town had to try and stop so it was at least a proper game. This is just weird.
GOC didn't have a mafia in the traditional sense?
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/

I've never been more happy about being flash wagoned tbh
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Epignosis wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:48 pm
Alison wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:32 pm
Long Con wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:28 pm
Alison wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:23 pm
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:15 pm "What if everyone is town" is a funny idea but annoying and a waste of time jn practice
The worst thing about this is that I'll have to hear "everyone is so dang townie! what if everyone is town and there's no mafia and the host is jerking our chain?" which I hear in every closed setup role madness game I play and shoot down every time because it's silly.

Except now it actually happened so people will take it seriously lol
Twice at the same time, even!
Well, GOC didn't have a mafia in the traditional sense but there was a hostile 3P making nightkills that town had to try and stop so it was at least a proper game. This is just weird.
GOC didn't have a mafia in the traditional sense?
After we were massacred
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

she just means at the end yeah
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Scirrus wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:47 pm
Marmot wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:44 pm Wow!!! I can't think of a better game to get evicted Night 1. :biggrin:

Now I regret killing you instead of leaving you alive to suffer :grin:
I mean, I was still scratching my head as to why the hell I died Night 1 up until game end, and kept checking in just to figure out who the mafia was that would have done that. That would never happen... in a normal mafia game.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

tutuu
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 4

Post by tutuu »

Alison wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:33 pm I'm glad tutuu isn't playing in this game or she'd have a fucking novel prepared about this.
Whaa :(

When i criticize stuff i do it on the spot (if i was playing i would have done it itt), i never criticize stuff post game or in graveyard chats
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

So my best course of action was to NOT lose my shit about being lynched Day 1.

Damn it.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

tutuu wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:52 pm
Alison wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:33 pm I'm glad tutuu isn't playing in this game or she'd have a fucking novel prepared about this.

When i criticize stuff i do it on the spot (if i was playing i would have done it itt), i never criticize stuff post game or in graveyard chats
I think she meant you would have prepared it during the game and posted it post-game.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 274
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Glad I claimed early instead of trying to be sneaky to force bad kills.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

Marmot wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:55 pm

I think she meant you would have prepared it during the game and posted it post-game.
I wouldnt! :P
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

tutuu wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:56 pm
Marmot wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:55 pm

I wouldnt! :P
But, but, that's what you did in Bread Mafia. :p

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Scirrus
The Mark

Post by Scirrus »

I like the idea of 30-post per phase games being a thing, but that's only if everyone can get close to hitting it. Like if the post cap was 50 or 75 for instance, would that make people that post 10/30 or 15/30 have an increase? I dunno
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

Oh right

Well hopefully it wasnt too negative!
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

tutuu wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:57 pm Oh right

Well hopefully it wasnt too negative!

Oh no, it wasn't negative at all, but it was arguably a novel. <3

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I think the psychology experiment here is more effective or less design biased if it isn’t run on a Mafia website with the name Mafia.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

It played out more like the movie Saw than a game of mafia.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I think that lack of participation held this game back from making the truth more apparent. Grogu never used his bodyguard role. Posion failed to use her tracking power nights 2, 4, and 5. I put a watcher, a tracker, a bodyguard, a doctor, a blocker, and a copycat all in the same game. I saw plenty of opportunities for powers to intersect and start to confirm more and more players as civvie. Due to only about half of the powers being used on any given night, that intersection never really flourished.

As far as criticism goes, I'm going to bite my tongue on a few comments that I thought went too far. I pulled this stunt, and it's well outside the norm even for me. I think criticism is warranted. If the admins feel that this sort of thing crosses any red lines and some form of punishment is necessary to make an example of it/me in order to discourage this kind of thing from being done again/more often, then I won't object.

In my mind, this was every bit as mentally and emotionally exhausting for me as it was for many of you. It was a rollercoaster ride of ups and downs. When a few of you mentioned the idea, I was pumping my fist like a father who watches his kid score their first goal/touchdown/whatever. When you turned away from the answers, I had to fight the urge to make the flavor blatantly obvious. I wanted you to get there yourself, but boy was I tempted to give you a few extra nudges. When words came out trashing the notion of what the game really was, I internalized it and it sucked quite a bit.

Every game, I care about every single one of my players. I have a pretty extensive history with some of the folks who played this game, so the talk of disappointment and wasted time hits me hard, justified as it may be.

I knew this would be a tough process for @JaggedJimmyJay. His methodical approach to the game cuts out most flights of fancy and gets down to brass tacks. I'm sorry that brass tacks were in short supply this game.

Seeing the supposedly-retired @Epignosis join in gave me pause. I know how busy his life is, and I was very mindful each day of how much effort he was sinking into a smoke-and-mirror show.

I think most of all, I felt the worst for @fingersplints because this was her first game in several years. I hope that she views it more as a scrimmage to help her shake off any rust than me being a troll.

@Enrique- kudos to you to seeing the light and embracing it. You didn't waver on it once it made sense to you. I built too much of an uphill battle for you it seems.
My Banners:
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 51
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

G-Man wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:18 pm I didn't feel bad about @Long Con because I know that son of a bitch is at least as depraved and psychotic when it comes to making games as I am! :feb:
Yer damn right, brother! :srsnod: :feb: :noble:
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

LMAOOOOO
Alison
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 75
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Re: Mafia (GAME OVER)

Post by Alison »

G-Man if you're interested in the idea of an all-civ game you should check out my 1984 mafia idea. The idea there is that the host flips a coin at the start of the game: if it lands heads there's mafia, if it lands tails there's no mafia. If there's no mafia, then town wants to no exe like in this game. If there is mafia, then town wants to root them out - so the mafia tries to convince town there's no mafia.
There's nothing that says a fake can't surpass the real thing.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

G-Man wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:18 pm I think that lack of participation held this game back from making the truth more apparent. Grogu never used his bodyguard role. Posion failed to use her tracking power nights 2, 4, and 5. I put a watcher, a tracker, a bodyguard, a doctor, a blocker, and a copycat all in the same game. I saw plenty of opportunities for powers to intersect and start to confirm more and more players as civvie. Due to only about half of the powers being used on any given night, that intersection never really flourished.

As far as criticism goes, I'm going to bite my tongue on a few comments that I thought went too far. I pulled this stunt, and it's well outside the norm even for me. I think criticism is warranted. If the admins feel that this sort of thing crosses any red lines and some form of punishment is necessary to make an example of it/me in order to discourage this kind of thing from being done again/more often, then I won't object.

In my mind, this was every bit as mentally and emotionally exhausting for me as it was for many of you. It was a rollercoaster ride of ups and downs. When a few of you mentioned the idea, I was pumping my fist like a father who watches his kid score their first goal/touchdown/whatever. When you turned away from the answers, I had to fight the urge to make the flavor blatantly obvious. I wanted you to get there yourself, but boy was I tempted to give you a few extra nudges. When words came out trashing the notion of what the game really was, I internalized it and it sucked quite a bit.

Every game, I care about every single one of my players. I have a pretty extensive history with some of the folks who played this game, so the talk of disappointment and wasted time hits me hard, justified as it may be.

I knew this would be a tough process for @JaggedJimmyJay. His methodical approach to the game cuts out most flights of fancy and gets down to brass tacks. I'm sorry that brass tacks were in short supply this game.

Seeing the supposedly-retired @Epignosis join in gave me pause. I know how busy his life is, and I was very mindful each day of how much effort he was sinking into a smoke-and-mirror show.

I think most of all, I felt the worst for @fingersplints because this was her first game in several years. I hope that she views it more as a scrimmage to help her shake off any rust than me being a troll.

@Enrique- kudos to you to seeing the light and embracing it. You didn't waver on it once it made sense to you. I built too much of an uphill battle for you it seems.
You're a good guy G.

My advice to you is never trick your players. When you host, you should always be the reliable anchor. This was a trick.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:59 pm I think the psychology experiment here is more effective or less design biased if it isn’t run on a Mafia website with the name Mafia.
One of the ideas that I thought of doing was adding punctuation to the game title as it progressed. It would have gone this way:

Mafia
Mafia.
Mafia!
Mafia‽
Mafia?

In the end, I felt that going there would have made things a little too obvious.

Some more fun facts:

-I either grew up with or currently know someone with each of the Italian surnames used in the game.

-Lenker is actually the surname of the jackass developer who built the development that I live in. We're the second owner of the house we live in, and we and plenty of our neighbors have found a few corners the guy cut in building the houses on our street.

-Corey is the name of my jackass ex-boss. I couldn't help but use his name as a detestable swindler.

-The whirlwind process of shifting control of the HOA from the developer to the homeowners comes from personal experience when Lenker shifted control to the homeowners on our street. It was swift and there was very little guidance. There was no fear of mafia being in the neighborhood, but they sold enough houses in Phase 3 to satisfy the covenants, which were totally tilted for maximum control by the developer, but offered very little in the way of firm footing for an actual HOA. This led to a number of chippy incidents as the new HOA board tried to enforce use restrictions and by-laws that Lenker had just ignored because it didn't hurt his ability to sell houses.

-Jacob Ferraro was actually an afterthought that took flight after I used him in the start-of-Day-1 post. Ferraro was a surname that didn't make the cut for inclusion in the game. It was going to just be a one-off and I was going to have each post touch on one of the role characters in the game. For some reason I decided against that. I ran with Ferraro as far as I could without being break-down-the-door blatantly obvious, so I switched back to Anthony Testa to signify that the game was at a critical juncture.

-Marmot being killed Night 1 actually helped the game end a day sooner. Had the one-shot vig not used the kill, it would have required 7 people get evicted in order for the game to cross the point of no return.
My Banners:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Epignosis wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:34 pm You're a good guy G.

My advice to you is never trick your players. When you host, you should always be the reliable anchor. This was a trick.

I own that it was a trick and that this sort of thing should be considered out of bounds by a host. Curiosity is what drove me to see it through, not malice. I hate to lose face as a host for it, but it is indefensible. If my reputation is tarnished, then I only have myself to blame for that.

We'll see if this ruse hurts my ability to fill up future games. I will be sure to state in my gameplay section, though, that all of my future games include an informed minority clashing with an uninformed majority. That way, no one ever has to worry or speculate about the possibility of a repeat.

And as I said before- if the admins believe that they need to make a punitive example out of me, I won't object. Twelve people can't get back the time they invested into this game, and that's on me. Recourse may well be in order.
My Banners:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I don't think you need to worry about some kind of punitive action. You've hosted a bunch of games that were very popular, and you're a long-standing member of our community. I think you recognize why this one might draw the ire of some, and we can all just move on.

Sloonei and I are going to hopefully get to designing some general guidelines for game design (not hard rules, just a guide and reference), and perhaps this game will have some impact upon what we feature there. :goofp:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

G-Man wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:54 pm

I own that it was a trick and that this sort of thing should be considered out of bounds by a host. Curiosity is what drove me to see it through, not malice. I hate to lose face as a host for it, but it is indefensible. If my reputation is tarnished, then I only have myself to blame for that.

We'll see if this ruse hurts my ability to fill up future games. I will be sure to state in my gameplay section, though, that all of my future games include an informed minority clashing with an uninformed majority. That way, no one ever has to worry or speculate about the possibility of a repeat.

And as I said before- if the admins believe that they need to make a punitive example out of me, I won't object. Twelve people can't get back the time they invested into this game, and that's on me. Recourse may well be in order.
Game on the Internet brother.

Nobody is going to punish you.

You are someone I admire and always will be.

This changes nothing.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Epignosis wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:06 am

Game on the Internet brother.

Nobody is going to punish you.

You are someone I admire and always will be.

This changes nothing.
On some level you must admire the sheer ballsiness of it.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Long Con wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:07 am On some level you must admire the sheer ballsiness of it.
You said something similar about me having a role in Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3 that gradually insanified most of the players.

I think you need to pick your battles better. :nicenod:
My Banners:
Scirrus
The Mark

Post by Scirrus »

Yeah, at the end of the day, it's just an internet game. Can't be bothered to be too bothered.

Thanks for the game! @G-Man. I admire the effort you put into your flavor and setting the tone of your games.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

G-Man wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:11 am
Long Con wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:07 am On some level you must admire the sheer ballsiness of it.
You said something similar about me having a role in Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3 that gradually insanified most of the players.

I think you need to pick your battles better. :nicenod:
Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

None of this. It was a game that some people didn't like, there have been and will be plenty more like that. You're one of the most celebrated hosts on the site, but not every game can be a hit. If you're making games that people enjoy that's enough, and if not, you can just do it differently next time. It shouldn't be more serious than that.
ImageImageImageImage
fingersplints
Hitman
Posts in topic: 91

Post by fingersplints »

While this definitely wasn’t my favourite gaming experience, no need to be ‘made an example of’.

I’m sorry for abandoning my good read of you Enrique. :hugs: I knew it was your town game, but I was paranoid, running out of options, and wanted the group to stick together.

At least in the end I didn’t have to worry about people who didn’t put as much time in as us getting to claim the win too :grin: :suspish: XD
Gro-oo-ovy
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

It was great to play with you again @fingersplints. I hope you can join us for another soon. :biggrin:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

fingersplints
Hitman
Posts in topic: 91

Post by fingersplints »

@JaggedJimmyJay it was nice to get to play with you all again! :hug:
I’m signed up for another game now, and I’ll see how that goes. But should have enough time to get a few more games in.
Gro-oo-ovy
Grogu
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 59

Re: Mafia (DAY 5)

Post by Grogu »

G-Man wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:09 pm
There Goes the Neighborhood

The Piano Estates HOA board had finally backed themselves into a corner. They filed yet another lawsuit against a homeowner for ignoring the mandate to put their house for sale. Nobody thought the eviction clause had any real teeth. Suing was the only way to prove that it did.

Everyone currently engaged in legal action with the HOA had waited to be sued. This fact was not lost on the HOA's attorney on retainer. He was sweating bullets after reviewing any and all possible related cases. The outlook was grim, yet the HOA board persisted. They felt bound to uphold what they believed to be the only course of action available to them. Inaction was invalid in their minds.

At the beckoning of Flamini, there was yet again an eviction vote. With so few homeowners remaining with voting rights, the votes were getting narrower and narrower. Robert Vitale was the latest victim to the Lenker brothers' cockamamie eviction clause.

A few days later, each of the board members were surprised to be served on their front porches with papers. At long last, they were the ones being sued.

Each of them read the documents in bewilderment. With the latest eviction vote, Piano Estates officially had more homeowners under mandatory eviction status than there were members in good standing. The board had essentially rendered themselves invalid, as quorum could no longer be reached per the covenants.

Not only that, but each homeowner under mandatory eviction orders had banded together to form a class action lawsuit against the HOA as an entity engaging in illegal practices and erroneous lawsuits against members, as well as against the board members as individuals for failing to perform their duty to look out for and act in the best interest of the HOA and its members by ignoring a legally dubious clause in the covenants that likely held no legal standing whatsoever.

The circular firing squad of lawsuits ruined a few people financially, but it also ruined the spirit of Piano Estates. The Lenker brothers really had believed that their fellow developer was telling the truth when he told them about the rumors of organized crime members moving into their neighborhood. Too bad the Lenkers, as developers themselves, were blind to the fact that developers are almost universally full of shit and not to be trusted.

The HOA board and members lost sight of this simple truth as well, and it cost many of them dearly. Property values declined, relationships soured, and Piano Estates earned a reputation for being a difficult place to live.

When the bad guys exist only in your head, everybody loses.

----------------------

Enrique has been evicted. He was:
ROBERT VITALE, a civvie. You are such a kind neighbor that an elderly homeowner in Piano Estates has asked you to be their proxy vote any time the need arises. As such, your vote is worth two each day.

The game has ended.

Nobody has won.

The entire game was built around one premise: If the 'No Eviction' option wins the poll in any phase before the number of evicted players outnumbers the number of players remaining in the game, everyone wins.

@Alison
@chardonnay
@Enrique
@Epignosis
@fingersplints
@Grogu
@JaggedJimmyJay
@KZA
@Long Con
@Marmot
@NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
@Poison
@Scirrus
Lol this was silly. I figured scum just didn’t have a NK.
This should have been put as experiment. We asked if bastard and told no. But we’re we’re told there was scum I thought?
Either way not winning this hurts. I guess we didn’t lose either so that soften the blow. Not sure this should even count for stars if there’s such a thing here.
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I logged it in the hall of fame spreadsheet as a "draw" for everyone @Grogu.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Return to “Previous Rackets”